Sparky with part p prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, mmmmm slight problem. My stepfather has nearly finished a small extension to his kitchen (3mx4m) and it's ready for the electrical first fix. Im an electrician and most of my work is on industrial and commercial sites so part p has'nt really affected me up until now. All i want to add is 2 double skt's by extending the kitchen ring, 2 downlighters and 1 outside light. Now according to the part p website this is all notifible work.
I cant certify my own work but then again i dont want him to pay to have my work inspected........... would you??
Ive spoken to my boss who said when ive tested it he will put it through the company but there will still be a fee !!(unless he's trying to get back some of this years overtime)

Its not just the money but this small job is hardly rocket science for an electrician !
LABC have already been round to check the footings and they havent been informed about any electrics, Does anyone know a way out of this for me? or any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could you not wire the sockets from the existing downstairs ringmain as this would not be considered as new install work / works with a kitchen and should not require the approval from your local authority.

afaict if it was approved by building control its approved until the approval runs out end of story.

if building control decide not to inspect the wiring in the extention they approved then thats thier problem not yours.

iL78, i could use the existing ring as it's a small bungalow and only has one, but then the extension is classed as a kitchen and then becomes notifiable.

Sponsored Links
martin123 said:
iL78, i could use the existing ring as it's a small bungalow and only has one, but then the extension is classed as a kitchen and then becomes notifiable.

do the work before the sink is put it :LOL:

this is where the part P is stupid. it only stops honest people doing the work

martin123 wrote:

do the work before the sink is put it icon_lol.gif

like it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

il78 said:
Could you not wire the sockets from the existing downstairs ringmain as this would not be considered as new install work / works with a kitchen and should not require the approval from your local authority.
Errr - it's a kitchen extension. Whether the sockets are on a new circuit or an extended existing one the work is still notifiable....

martin123 said:
Ive spoken to my boss who said when ive tested it he will put it through the company
Unless the company is registered as a Domestic Installer, he can't do that - doesn't work.

martin123 said:
Yes the new dining rooms coming along nicely thanks ;)
That might work - you'd have to remove the existing sink and food preparation facilities though...

LABC have already been round to check the footings and they havent been informed about any electrics, Does anyone know a way out of this for me? or any ideas?

Cheers
When was the extension notified, and the plans given Building Regs approval? If it was last year, just do the work, test and certify it, and brazen it out with LABC...

andrew2022 said:

do the work before the sink is put it :LOL:

this is where the part P is stupid. it only stops honest people doing the work

If its a kitchen surely it will involve an amount of drainage - is the bco really gonna see this and think 'Oh he likes washing up in his lounge - how quirky'

If the existing circuit is being extended that has to be up to current regs doesent it? and the external lighting would be notifiable and any ELV lighting

If youre up to 16th edition there shouldnt be a problem as they should accept your qualifications and testing - just need to make sure that the first fix wiring is seen afaik

External lighting not notifiable if attached to house. Outside stuff is only notifiable if it is NOT attached to dwelling.

ELV is not notifiable if it comes as a CE marked kit.

Way round this is to fit mains halogens.

securespark said:
Way round this is to fit mains halogens.

I have recently had this problem - if your bco says efficient lighting is needed , as your building new rooms, these wont be efficient enough

Mr Winston said:
If its a kitchen surely it will involve an amount of drainage - is the bco really gonna see this and think 'Oh he likes washing up in his lounge - how quirky'
Doesn't matter what he thinks, nor how transparent the attempt to circumvent the spirit of the law, if the room does not contain a sink and food preparation facilities it is not a kitchen.

ban-all-sheds said:
circumvent the spirit of the law, if the room does not contain a sink and food preparation facilities it is not a kitchen.

so put the sink in another room :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
il78 said:
Errr - it's a kitchen extension. Whether the sockets are on a new circuit or an extended existing one the work is still notifiable....

ERRR.....Just because its an extension to a kitchen does not mean it has to be a kitchen.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back