Speaker volume

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, can anyone help me with this one?

I've just bought a portable speaker that i can plug into my mp3 player. Its a X-mini Mini II ( http://x-mini.com/products-detail-overview.aspx?sid=3 if you're interested...) and given that its about 2.5inches in diameter and stands 3inches high, the sound output is quite impressive. It also has a 3.5mm audio output socket so that you can link two (or more) of these speakers together. My question is, if i were to buy a second, what would affect would this have on the volume? Would two speakers result in twice the volume? Would they increase the volume, but not double it? Or would it make no difference as they would both be giving out the same 'volume' (probably not the correct terminology...) of sound?

Sponsored Links
It depends what type of music you will be playing through them.

Looking at the spec it's unclear how or why they have this feature.
It's a single channel mono device that has a maximum output of 2.5W (you have to assume that's RMS). The problem is that it doesn't tell you what output the "modular buddy jack" gives - if it's a link through then in theory you would have 2 x 2.5W mono speakers (as the audio is still being transmitted in single channel). Would that make it louder? Not in reality but it may "sound" louder as you now have a more wider sound field.
I have used mono PA amps and speakers linked together daisy chain in the past not to make it louder but to get the sound to travel further.
There just doesn't seem to be enough info on what this buddy jack actually does (a lot of marketing around what it's for).
Mind you with a lower frequency response of 100Hz, I can't imagine there being much bass definition.
The only thing I can think of for having the buddy jack is to widen the sound field to make it seem louder when in reality it will only be a max 2.5W (unless it converts audio to stereo where it would be 2x2.5W i.e. 5W but it doesn't state if this is the case or not).

Sponsored Links
It says on the box - "Modular 'Buddy Jack' design: connect a row of x-minis to get jaw dropping stereo." I have my doubts that it will actually be a stereo output, but rather, as you say, two lots of exactly the same mono output - but maybe its more clever than I give it credit. However, the front of the package does claim "Playback tripled up to 12 hours of playback.." but the spec on the rear says "Playback time: up to 8 hours" hence why I have some doubts as to how accurate their claims are...

You're right about the bass - any music with a lot of bass and they aren't that impressive - they actually go quieter when the bass kicks in, but for what I want them for (camping being the main use) their rechargeable battery, and tiny size make them perfect :) i'm not going to be using them to host a party!

I had wondered about doing what you suggest - if i get two, I can have one either side of the room and if i'm in the middle, i'd benefit from both speakers...?

Yeah, using another to widen the field would be the only way I could see it sounding better.
There is no real tech detail on their site to suggest whether the buddy jack produces a stereo output or how it does this.

As you say though for just general use they should be ok.

Personally I would go for a Jawbone or the like if it was for camping but not if fitting in your pocket was an important buying reason.

Obviously if they both produce 2.5w then 2 of them linked together are going to give 2 x 2.5w = 5w output. These are "active" speakers (meaning they have their own power supply) (5v rechargeable battery). 10 of them daisy chained together will give 25w of sheer listening pleasure :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Personally I would go for a Jawbone or the like if it was for camping but not if fitting in your pocket was an important buying reason.

Yeah, on our camping trips, size is everything, our car is usually bursting at the seams as we leave the house. Price is also a factor - these are under £15! And i'm not too worried about volume whilst camping - the rest of the site probably don't want to listen anyway ;) just be nice to have them a bit louder at home....

AndrewSchofield";p="2318068 said:
hence why I have some doubts as to how accurate their claims are...

You're right about the bass - any music with a lot of bass and they aren't that impressive - they actually go quieter when the bass kicks in, but for what I want them for (camping being the main use) their rechargeable battery, and tiny size make them perfect :) i'm not going to be using them to host a party!

quote]Horses for courses - you want Bass , get a pair of old Kef `s with passive bass radiator ;) Jazz ...........Nice.

Nige - yeah - wasn't a complaint, merely an observation. I paid less then £15 for a speaker that easily fits in my pockets, i wasn't expecting incredible sound quality and volume to keep the whole street up all night - for what they are i'm more than happy with my purchase, just curious to know if its worth splashing out on a second one to fill the room a little better.

I've actually used it whilst out on site this morning, had it outside on the window cill of a bungalow and if I walked around to the back of the bungalow you could JUST still hear the music...

These are fantastic speakers for the money and size.

If you put them on a table or box, or something which vibrates a bit (ie not a carpet) then the bass and sound is amplified

Daisy chaining these wont make the sound louder, but will appear louder just because there are more speakers. Also it wont be stereo, just more mono

Woody - just been reading some reviews and some of the reviewers have two of these and confirmed that you get the same mono output from both speakers if you connect a second - not proper stereo - which was the conclusion I think we'd come to anyway.

Going to buy a second I think, and a longer audio lead (the integral one is about 3inches long....) so I can have a speaker either side of the room, or at least some distance apart so i'll have two sources of the sound and that should improve things... :)

Sponsored Links
Back