Specific Adapter not working in sockets

Why are you so pedantic?
Me? You should look in the mirror, pal.
I don’t get facts wrong.
Your memory is getting worse. There’s a long list. Don’t you remember the topic about the legislation for mandatory smoke alarms in Scotland
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fitting-mains-powered-smoke-alarms.579600/

You told the OP that he did not need to fit them because (your words)
You don’t need to do anything as the new law won’t be retrospective.
How wrong is that, and you still haven’t retracted or corrected it!

Sponsored Links
Not all AC supplies alternates

what is it that alternates in an AC supply,

upload_2021-11-23_7-21-36.png

I see, the voltage swings between Add and Subtract, ( or is it Plus and Minus )

Wake up Winston and unplug your internet connection

Why are you so pedantic? I don’t get facts wrong. There is no positive or negative PIN with AC. Not all AC supplies alternates 50 times a second. In much of the world it is 60, on aircraft 400.
As you have implied, an AC signal can have different frequencies.
Signal generators can provide extra low voltage AC, with adjustable DC offset.
There is no positive or negative with AC.
Not true if the DC offset (either positive or negative), is greater than the amplitude; the entire AC wave could be positive, or negative! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As you have implied, an AC signal can have many frequencies.
Signal generators can provide extra low voltage AC, with adjustable DC offset.

Not true if the DC offset is greater, or less than the amplitude; the entire AC wave could be positive, or negative! :)

Not even necessarily - a sine wave. It could even be carrying another signal or data.

You (deliberately) misquoted me. I did not say “Not all AC supplies alternates”. I said “Not all AC supplies alternates at 50 times a second”.

With all this waffle the fact is there is no positive or negative pin with AC.

You (deliberately) misquoted me. I did not say “Not all AC supplies alternates”. I said “Not all AC supplies alternates at 50 times a second”.
Not misquoting, you suggested AC supplies can have different frequencies, fair enough.

From that I said, as well as different frequencies, AC signals may have different amplitudes and offsets - stating categorically that:
'There is no positive or negative with AC'
Is just not true!
You may wish to clarify that statement with something like 'on mains AC' in the future ;)

Last edited:
With all this waffle the fact is there is no positive or negative pin with AC.

But was not what you asserted. You, as usual, dumped a huge NO into your post.

Here’s your absolute black and white, no prisoners statement

There is no positive or negative with AC.

Now you have had time to think about it you have now seen fit to add the small, but important qualifying word “pin” which helps, a bit.

You might get less flak if you stopped jumping in to every thread, like Moses, with a tablet of stone titled
“The Law According to Winston1”.

Apologies to @Tmon for the hijacking of your thread. I'm afraid this occasionally happens on this forum! :)

Are all the sockets in your house of the same vintage? It wouldn't be a huge hassle (or cost) to change one of the sockets and see if that makes a difference?

Apart from what @opps suggested about splaying the pins slightly, the only other suggestion I can make is putting a couple of drops of Olbas oil In a bowl of hot water (kept well out of reach, or under the bed); it won't last all night as your plug-in would, but it is enough to let the little ones settle for sleep - this was recommended to me recently by a children's nurse.

Good luck :)

Apart from what @opps suggested about splaying the pins slightly, the only other suggestion I can make is putting a couple of drops of Olbas oil In a bowl of hot water (kept well out of reach, or under the bed); it won't last all night as your plug-in would, but it is enough to let the little ones settle for sleep - this was recommended to me recently by a children's nurse.

Or on the underside of the pillows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back