Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you speeders are trying to play down the number of deaths due to speeding, but it's not just deaths. Whilst death due to speeding is the principal reason why we should not speed, there is a more everyday reason: decency. Have you ever been walking along the pavement when a car has whizzed past at 40, 50, 60 mph+, just inches from you? It's not nice, and it shows that the driver doesn't give a s**t about you. He might not want to kill you, but he certainly doesn't care about you.

You should slow down when you are near pedestrians. The closer you are, the slower you should go.

Sponsored Links
And another thing... in my 40 odd years of car driving, motorcycling and cycling, I have never been in a dangerous situation where speeding up would have helped lessen the danger. That argument is a fallacy, only offered by speed lovers.

All you speeders are trying to play down the number of deaths due to speeding, but it's not just deaths. Whilst death due to speeding is the principal reason why we should not speed, there is a more everyday reason: decency. Have you ever been walking along the pavement when a car has whizzed past at 40, 50, 60 mph+, just inches from you? It's not nice, and it shows that the driver doesn't give a s**t about you. He might not want to kill you, but he certainly doesn't care about you.

You should slow down when you are near pedestrians. The closer you are, the slower you should go.

Why do you say the numbers are being played down?

The numbers have been cited as what they are.

And another thing... in my 40 odd years of car driving, motorcycling and cycling, I have never been in a dangerous situation where speeding up would have helped lessen the danger. That argument is a fallacy, only offered by speed lovers.

Here are some examples:
- You are slowly overtaking a large left hand drive vehicle, when it indicates to move in to your lane. Continue at current speed assuming he intends to wait or assume he hasn't seen you and accelerate to quickly get out of danger?
- You are at the head of a bunch of vehicles with a clear space and see vehicles approaching from a merge ramp. Continue at your current speed and let them work out where they should merge in as you have right of way, slow down increasing the density of traffic behind you or accelerate to create space?
- You are following a slow vehicle on a single carriage way, the road opens up and you can see its clear to safely overtake. Just sit there? creep by taking all the available space to overtake or get out an on with it quickly?
- You are driving on a twisty country road with straights between the bends. Set a nice slow speed that enables you to navigate the bends at the same speed as the straights or slow right down for the bends and accelerate on the straights.

Sponsored Links
I used to race motorcycles & sometimes we went very, very fast. I remember having motorcycles inches in front of me, behind me & each side of me, all travelling very, very fast. Yet I have never felt so safe.
Rofl.....no oncoming traffic,,,presumably a race track, not exactly any comparison between that and roads.Mind you ,,half the fekers on the road think they are Hamilton in Monaco

I used to race motorcycles & sometimes we went very, very fast. I remember having motorcycles inches in front of me, behind me & each side of me, all travelling very, very fast. Yet I have never felt so safe.

You must be ever so brave.

Statistically speaking, it's unlikely.
Very...but 25k deaths and injuries a year in europe,,in rta's is lots,,whichever way you juggle them...and you must drive in toy town if you encounter no stupidly fast idiot drivers

Very...but 25k deaths and injuries a year in europe,,in rta's is lots,,whichever way you juggle them...and you must drive in toy town if you encounter no stupidly fast idiot drivers

Do we have the data on how often speeding as a cause of injury on urban roads is attributed to a pedestrian texting and stepping out into the road?

The toy town argument you present about the speeder you might see here or there is one, another would be driving through Birmingham or Wolverhampton city centre at a crawling pace and still having pedestrians walk out Infront of you completely oblivious to their surroundings or with a complete disregard for traffic.

I've done it myself, how often in a city centre do you see at a crossing the lights are green for traffic to move, it's at a stand still yet a bike being cycle or motor filters through and you didn't see or hear them coming? Nothing to do with speeding but quite easily the cause of an injury or fatality.

We have to be realistic and I'm not trying to dismiss speeding as a none issue. It is in the wrong places but I still don't think a dumb system is the right way to do it.

More speed or average cameras in built up areas makes more sense. I don't believe however average checks (on, and) smart motorways help with this issue. They become infuriating and from my own experience lead to more people speeding; I've seen stretches of completely clear motorway with a 50 marker on the displays. Why? People go so far then ignore it and accelerate again.

Do we have the data on how often speeding as a cause of injury on urban roads is attributed to a pedestrian texting and stepping out into the road?

The toy town argument you present about the speeder you might see here or there is one, another would be driving through Birmingham or Wolverhampton city centre at a crawling pace and still having pedestrians walk out Infront of you completely oblivious to their surroundings or with a complete disregard for traffic.

I've done it myself, how often in a city centre do you see at a crossing the lights are green for traffic to move, it's at a stand still yet a bike being cycle or motor filters through and you didn't see or hear them coming? Nothing to do with speeding but quite easily the cause of an injury or fatality.

We have to be realistic and I'm not trying to dismiss speeding as a none issue. It is in the wrong places but I still don't think a dumb system is the right way to do it.

More speed or average cameras in built up areas makes more sense. I don't believe however average checks (on, and) smart motorways help with this issue. They become infuriating and from my own experience lead to more people speeding; I've seen stretches of completely clear motorway with a 50 marker on the displays. Why? People go so far then ignore it and accelerate again.
Ok

All this analysis has been done in the UK back when speed cameras were first launched. If speed limits are no longer set with safety as the primary factor then it makes no sense to argue that adherence to the limit is a safety factor.

Plenty of roads that had 60 or 50mph limits now have 40mph limits. The safe speed for those roads will have nothing to do with the limit and everything to do with the conditions.

How many here think they couldn’t drive safely without a speedo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back