Speedfit BPEX or Speedfit Polybutylene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I plan to move my radiator to the other side of the room and existing piping is in speedfit under the floor. When looking to buy additional pipe I am presented with two options.
Screenshot_2020-02-23 JG Speedfit 15 mm 25 m Pipe Plumbing Screwfix com.png

Which one would the better choice and why? The Polybutylene is the layflat version is that easier to bend and work with?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
They are two completely different types of plastic and you can use either.
The PEX pipe is far more rigid and if using from a coil it can be difficult to use as it always wants to return to its coiled state.
Polybutylene is far more flexible and the “Layflat” is much easier to uncoil and use,
Personally I would use the Polybutylene, but they will both do the job.

Sponsored Links
I have to disagree with both the other replies .....You should use barrier pipe ....it prevents oxygen passing through the pipe wall and helps preserve the rads in your heating system. Not using barrier means your rads can corrode internally quicker !!!!

On heating systems barrier pipe always !! The other pipe is ok on hot and cold service pipework.

I have to disagree with both the other replies .....You should use barrier pipe ....it prevents oxygen passing through the pipe wall and helps preserve the rads in your heating system. Not using barrier means your rads can corrode internally quicker !!!!

On heating systems barrier pipe always !! The other pipe is ok on hot and cold service pipework.

Looking at their website it says
Barrier Layer
The pipe is made of 5 layers, the centre of which is a coloured oxygen barrier which prevents the ingress of air into the system, reducing the effect of corrosion on metal components.

Yup, both of the JG pipes BPEX and PB are barrier pipe. One's just a softer material allowing it to be layflat.

Both the Speedfit offerings that the OP was looking at are Barrier pipe, he was asking the differences between them which have been pointed out, so with them both being barrier that wasn’t one of the differences.

You are correct in saying that Barrier pipe should be used on central heating pipe work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back