Speedfit Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have bought a third floor flat and am just finishing off plumbed it with plastic pipe and push fit fittings, I used the JG range from screwfix.

My concern is that recently I have heard stories about 2 different people who used push fit fittings and plastic pipe (dont know which type) and when the local council had turned the mains water off in the street and turned it back on again the surge popped one of the fittings off.

What I wanted to ask is, is there some type of anti-surge inline valve or suppressor I could fit to act as a damper before I lay the flooring incase this happens to me.

The fact that I am one of the top flats in the block concerns me as I wouldnt be the first to find out about the leak!

Thanks in advance,

Alan.

Sponsored Links
there are fittings called shock arrester,s that will accept a surge of water pressure but if its been off a while & your the top flat then you will get the water last & there is normally toilets been flushed in the time scale that would soften the blow as the supply is restored. If there fitted correctley they should be ok the jg range is good gear.

Replace it with copper and do the job properly.

One day insurance companies may wake up and refuse to offer cover on this rubbish - can't happen too soon in my book.

Remember it doesn't matter how good the quality of your work is much of it has manufacturing design faults.

++++++
We've already had enough long, tedious and pointless argument on the copper vs plastic thing, which degenerated into abuse.

Let's not do it again, eh?

Mod Rupert
+++++++

Nothing at all wrong with correctly installed Plastic. I always recommend a pressure reducing valve on the cold inlet though. Its non corrosive, flexible, versitile and cheaper compared with copper. There are houses in my area with plastic plumbing throughout who have had little or no trouble in the 13 years they have been in. So long as once its in its not disturbed (i mean its not every day your under the floor distubing pipes) then its fine. I attend more leaking copper and compression than i do plastic push fit joints .

Sponsored Links
Loads of plumbers moan about it, but i rememebr the same moans about Condensing boilers..............its happening so embrace it and get used to it.

The price of copper being what it is, its the only option for many households (and Plumbers) who otherwise would not have central heating etc or be able to afford materials upfront.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll look into getting one of these shock arresters. I appreciate that it might not be necessary but i'd rather get one just to be on the safe side.

Alan.

Gasguru said:
Replace it with copper and do the job properly.
Fortunately for everyone, the quality of pushfit fittings is better than the quality of your advice.

One day insurance companies may wake up and refuse to offer cover on this rubbish - can't happen too soon in my book.
You're the one who's dreaming.

Remember it doesn't matter how good the quality of your work is much of it has manufacturing design faults.
Really? Care to define how much is "much", with some objective statistics?

Edit: pointless and misplaced moderator comment removed.

Any fool can use plastic ..........the roofers do lead sheet ........the hairy arsed do screwed iron........British Gas make £££££££££££ Corgis make £££ and do the boilers .......Moz made a fortune doing bathrooms .............Pass the friggin` Luger :eek:

I have been looking online for one of these shock arresters and can only find them with a 1/2" fitting. My cold water feed pipe is in 3/4". Should I just tee in with a 1/2" pipe or do I need to find a shock arrester in 3/4 to ensure it has maximum effect?

Thanks,

Alan.

Nige F said:
Any fool can use plastic
...and yet people complain about it leaking. How can something so "easy" be so hard to get right Nige?

where do i get a shock arresters to protect the speedfittings. Do i connect it on the mains pipe. Where would it go if i install a water softner, before or after?

where do i get a shock arresters to protect the speedfittings. Do i connect it on the mains pipe. Where would it go if i install a water softner, before or after?

You already have two of your own posting threads going currently so why do you want to add to a third thats already over two years old ???

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back