Speeding ticket!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Today I am glum.

I have been issued a NIP by Lancashire Cu whoops Constabulary for exceeding the speed limit - 36 in a 30.

No doubt there are those on the site who will say "Don't speed and you won't get caught." True, I know, especially now I am staring 9 points in the mush.

But in my case, I believed the limit was 40. Now, I may be mistaken, but if I am right, and the signage is confusing or contrary to regulation, I will be able to contest.

Does anybody have any advice or links? What are the regulations regarding placement etc of speed signs?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_504746.hcsp

..Positioning Repeaters
For 30 mph lit roads, no repeaters are permitted under the regulations (Direction 10(2)(a)).
On lit roads subject to any other speed limit (other than 20mph speed limit zones), including the national speed limit, repeaters must be used. Table 1 gives recommended distances between such signs. (National speed limit signs are not required on motorways).

A friend from Oz complained about lack of 30 signage tis easy to miss a solitary one.
A local speed limit was reduced 40 to 30, larger signs replaced the old 30 .. clearly showing 40 crossed out and the new 30 limit.

Do not know about overhanging branches, damage etc .. would have thought if not visible then not legal .... Would not count on it though.

BTW .... ISA //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26812 equipment or right foot amputation may just keep you mobile ... guess we are approaching cry by wire from work lodgings !!
:cry: :cry:

I've always hated the "no repeaters in a 30-zone" rule. Are 10-inch discs with the number "30" on them really so offensive that people would object to them in their village? Surely the benefit of reduced speeding would more than make up for this.

Simon, is it a road you drive on regularly?

Mischevious types near my parents' house have rotated a speedlimit sign metal-strapped onto a lamp-post, so instead of it indicating a decrease to 30, it indicates a continuation of the 40 limit. Now, if you suspect this was the case, plead this.

I think your only hope is to prove that the speed-limit is unenforcable through incorrect signs (such as the above) or obscured signs (as pip says)

if the signage is wrong or obscured then yes you can contest. If its a 30 then unless its been changed youll have little luck. It needs to be clearly signposted as you enter, however there is no need for repeaters as an urban street with lamp posts at 100 yard intervals or less is deemed to be a 30 unless signed otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Adam

No, I've only driven it the once. It is a dual carriageway, but 30mph. The stretch I drove had only 1 sign, plus a reminder sign. Stupid, really. Looks like the photo was taken from the CR, and from that angle, you can see the Gatso, but when you're on the carriageway, it is obscured by posts.

Gatso.JPG

I know they have (recently, looking at the grass around the post) fitted these reminder signs, but the rest of the road has nothing to remind you of the limit.

Except this one, a mile further down the road after you've been through the Gatso. And there are no Gatsos after that sign....

The cynic in me says the council puts tiny reminder signs near the Gatsos which are easily missed (and if you approach faster than 35, it is difficult to slow down in time), and then puts whacking great big yellow ones where there are no Gatsos. Well, if they put the big ones near the Gatsos (or even on entry to the 30 zone), they wouldn't raise as much, would they?

Sign.JPG

Wasn't there an edict recently that speeding cameras all had to be visible, hence they were all painted bright yellow? The one in the picture is grey.

it counts as being visible as its got the reflective square on the back. I have to say i think youre on a hiding to nothing, the spacing of the lamp posts and the road is clearly urban goes against you. I see your point about it being a duel carriage way, but unless marked otherwise its 30 mph.
As for the signs theyve put up theyll argue theyve put up more signs than they need to and have given you fair warning. Another staelth tax for the government then!

Are those signs legal ? they have been known to get them wrong !

10 The camera unit shall be capable of taking either one or two colour photographs per offence with the operator having the facility to select the required option. If selecting the 'two photograph' option, the operator shall also have the facility to vary the interval between frames in 0.1 second steps, within the range 0.5 seconds to 1.0 seconds.
Oooer I do not like the highlighted part. Due to being informed, no proof to submit here , All photos show a time span of 0.5 secs ...... So if the calibrated radar component decides when to flash, an unscrupulous adjustment to the time interval may ensure conviction .. how many remember or even know when they've been 'tangoed' ?

"Speedmeter handbook" search :- http://uk.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=PSDB+Speedmeter+Handbook&kgs=0&kls=0

David Edgar is going for it here ... heaven knows where it will get him, but best of luck M8 .. He has some interesting stuff on his site.
http://www.notsoaccurate.com/Page 1.htm
:eek: :eek:

pna said:
Wasn't there an edict recently that speeding cameras all had to be visible, hence they were all painted bright yellow? The one in the picture is grey.
Unless i'm mistaken the bright sign on the grass verge is a camera warning sign. To me it looks like the camera is above the red van, if you look carefully you can also see the dots on the road.

speed.jpg

yep, camera never lies

and how can you not see the camera, its even got Christmas wrapping paper

Looks like I'll have to stand up and take it like a man...oooh errr!

9 points it is then. Thank **** that 3 are coming off on the 15th of this month.......!!!

Let it be a warning then. That is the first time I've been on a road like that that has had a 30 limit. There's a road near us which is identical, but a 40 zone. Bad luck, Simon!

Before I sign on the dotted, has anyone read those publications claiming to have all the tricks of the trade needed to avoid a fine?

I'd buy the book but I have a nasty feeling that it's just posh bog roll and you would end up being fleeced by HM Govt AND the publishers...

Anyone got any idea how fast you have to be going to be caught by the first picture on a GATSO but missed by the second. I guess it would be bl**dy fast but interesting to know.

Just an interesting point, but hopefully not an urban legend. The penalty for not displaying a numberplate is less than that of a "normal" speeding fine. Sould we all remove our rear numberplates and beat the GATSO?????

There is a campaign afoot about the camera's V European law, re the right to silence. Apparently you are supposed to say certain things on the form when paying your fine. The thinking being if you protest at the time of paying your fine and the Gov eventually loses any trial case, they must drop your case. If you don't protest, you are deemed to of admitted the offence and lose any rights under the relevant legislation.

It may all come to nothing but have a read, you never know!

http://www.abd.org.uk/righttosilence.htm

Sponsored Links
Back