Speeding ticket!

jtaunton said:
As a wise man once said 'Weaselling out of things is what sets us apart from the animals. Except for the Weasel....'

Try asking for the GATSO's calibration certificate before you decide whether to contest it or not. If its too much hassle they may drop it.

Gatso or representatives calibrate the sensing, then certificate .. did you know the operator can alter the time delay twixt flashes ? Apparently (need proof) this shows on photo as 0.5 sec whatever it is actually set at.
The range is said to be 0.5 to 0.7 secs ... So if the radar fires the first flash, the time lag precedes the second .... how far have you travelled in the 0.5sec, or might it be longer, time period ? ..Pluck the Geese with the minimum of hissing..
;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Police source

The time interval between photographs, typically 0.5 to 0.7 seconds, is derived from a timing source that is standalone. Therefore the resulting speed estimate is independent of that measured by the radar...
The annual calibration process involves checking the functionality of the camera and radar units. For the radar this includes the measurement and any necessary correction of its power output, frequency and the angle at which the radar beam is projected. For the camera controller the critical measurement is the clock that determines the accuracy of the delay between the two photographs and consequently the secondary speed measurement...

IMHO if the calibrated equipment has an operator enabled adjustment, which is not tamper proof, even the leccy meters have 'seals', then its fitness for purpose as an unmanned speed trap must be called into question. ... Would a 'type approval' allow for non technical operator adjustment of lab calibrated equipment ?
Managers tend to 'fiddle' the tech stuff when dosh is involved .. if they can ... So, give them an adjuster to twiddle and twiddle they will, no doubt ..
This guy was having non of it :- Tacho evidence

Good in rip off Britain isn't it ?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :LOL:

Tacho, useful thing to have in such instances.

If I get "caught" by a camera when I am blatantly not speeding, I will remember to ask for a current and valid calibration certificate of the device. Same with any other device. If a commercial body is buying any piece of expensive, "accurate" equipment you ALWAYS demand such a certificate, I doubt the Home Office is an exception.

Gatsos do go wrong, I know of one which flashes traffic going the other way, often at speeds considerably less than the speedlimit. The local police have even acknowledged it doesn't work!

AdamW said:
Tacho, useful thing to have in such instances.

If I get "caught" by a camera when I am blatantly not speeding, I will remember to ask for a current and valid calibration certificate of the device. Same with any other device. If a commercial body is buying any piece of expensive, "accurate" equipment you ALWAYS demand such a certificate, I doubt the Home Office is an exception.

Gatsos do go wrong, I know of one which flashes traffic going the other way, often at speeds considerably less than the speedlimit. The local police have even acknowledged it doesn't work!

Trouble is if the operator can twiddle a 'pot' to ensure the camera sequence shots match the radar ....... What happens at next calibration ? 'Pot' has been turned back to 0.5 sec ... Calib' Techy says "Mmmm not much dosh made with this camera, radar is out by a margin, the photo evidence doesn't match at 0.5 secs ... Oh well, recalibrate, issue cert' job done.." Camera now spot on radar and camera sequence at 0.5 sec match.
I have seen all this in industry with calibrated electronic gauging .. some can be calibrated through the software ... people fiddle in all senses of the word... I wish we could smoke out an ex Cam operative .. they are not biting .. :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
I have decided to take legal advice as to my options.

1. Does that warning sign constitute a repeater?

2. Can I object to incriminating myself by admitting I was the driver?

3. Can I contest the accuracy of the Gatsometer?

I shall let you know the outcome of my legal chat...

You take care SS ... Probably best to walk with a fine .... Cost will surely be prohibitive ....
The guy here :- David Edgar Is getting in pretty deep ... a retired Consultant Engineer and former professional Inventor, he is also an experienced Litigant and has studied and practiced both civil and criminal law for almost 11 years whereby he has successfully brought actions against the establishment and has successfully defended actions brought against himself by the establishment.

The whole thing is, allegedly, getting nasty ....

Escape

Who are the mugs ?

Some time back I recieved a photo, through the post, of my car exceding 50mph (by a mere 7mph) on the M25. I called the number on the ticket and asked, "well how much is the fine, and where do I send it." I was told "well it's usually £60 + 3pts, but you need to send the form back first." I then said, "Sorry, but I haven't a clue who was driving at the time and since I'm not prepared to perjure myself, I cannot give you the information you want"

I never returned the form, and never heard anything more about it.

159mph CPS Appeal
The court heard that the officer was recorded travelling at 159mph on the motorway near Telford in the early hours of 5 December 2003....

Early hours in Dec ? dark innit ? :cry:

My insurance specifically disallows 'testing' ...

;)

I will contest this on a technicality. The warning sign you see is one of two placed prior to the camera. The law allows only one to be placed.

New Informatory 30mph and Camera warning Sign (Diagram 880)
The sign to Diagram 880 is a new sign to inform drivers of the presence of enforcement cameras on a road where a 30mph speed limit is in force and a system of street lighting is in operation. The sign should be placed within 1km of the fixed camera housing to remind drivers of the speed limit in force. Only one sign can be used on each approach and therefore cannot be used as a repeater sign. It also must not be used for mobile camera sites.

Well, a quick update.

I'm corresponding with Mr. Edgar. I have written a letter asking the coppers to provide me with photographic evidence before I complete the NIP.

I shall investigate further, with David's help, the signage. And yes, Adam, I shall request calibration certs for the Gatso.

securespark said:
Well, a quick update.

I'm corresponding with Mr. Edgar. I have written a letter asking the coppers to provide me with photographic evidence before I complete the NIP.

I shall investigate further, with David's help, the signage. And yes, Adam, I shall request calibration certs for the Gatso.

doesnt it say on the letter that photos are available but you have to go there to view them?

Whats all the Fuss ... ??

If you speed... you get caught ,

END OF STORY !!

I hear you can get these computer things in your car that alerts/warns you of cameras , if you got a heavy right foot get one ...
get one an save a childs life ...

Rob-Johnson said:
Whats all the Fuss ... ??

If you speed... you get caught ,

END OF STORY !!

I hear you can get these computer things in your car that alerts/warns you of cameras , if you got a heavy right foot get one ...
get one an save a childs life ...

normal people get fined/points for 36 in 30 zone.

police get away with 159 in 70 zone, 60 in 30 zone.

any1 else see some bias towards public?

I have just seen a leaflet of FAQs from someone caught speeding by a mobile speed trap (not a gatso). It states that in this case they do not have to give you a copy or show you the calibration certificate, they must however present it in court as evidence if you decide to appeal. I don't know how this is summed up under the freedom of information act though.

ah so they gave you too many warning signs to tell you to slow down ;)

Sponsored Links
Back