Spent 2K on architect - builder says rsj is illegal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -
it's good to be here and I would really appreciate some advice please.
My architect was commissioned to do drawings, plans, calc etc for a full hip top gable dormer and my chosen builder has said that the plans call for demolishing the loft to put steel beams in which he doesn't think needs to happen, but of greater concern is that he says that the plans show that an RSJ is to go into the chimney which apparently is illegal.

I have uploaded the plan here - could anybody please advise me whether this plans do suggest this and if I should challenge my architect.
Originally, I was quoted 32k to build this, but now this has gone up to way beyond 40k. My builder says that I need to get a new architect and start again!
//www.diynot.com/network/blueeyes777/albums/

My plans are attached - I would be grateful if anybody could advise please.

Sponsored Links
It's a definite no no if the chimney is live.

Even if the flue is no longer in use it is not good practice as there is risk of damage to the mortar and bricks from sulphur etc in the smoke and soot and the bearing capacity is likely to be far lower than nearby masonry.

Ideally it needs to be trimmed and support taken elsewhere.

I doubt building control would be happy with the detail shown.

Sponsored Links
hi - i have tried to upload another picture - is it easier to read please?

Still having trouble reading them (on ipad here). Maybe try uploading them to somewhere like photobucket and linking to them. Section drawings A-A and B-B would also be helpful.

Yep, still can't read them, either post some high resolution scans or the thread ain't going anywhere. And an existing plan and the sections whilst you're at it. If you want comment on the nuts & bolts of the drawing content we gotta be able to read the nuts & bolts.

View media item 92070

Well, he's drawn a lot of stuff. 2K's not bad! If he'd been a structural engineer doing that many drawings the fee might have been more than double :)

Did you intend to also include a load of pictures of items related to your financial position?

The main ridge beam does appear to sit on the chimney breast. You don't say if the chimney is live. Have you asked your architect for clarification?

I am afraid your are not reaidng this correctly.

B1 is going into B6 – The chimney is below and shown in position in the event that you want to keep it for cost / viaual reasons. B6 is spaning over the chimeny like the hammermith flyover the roundabout. They work independently. Not on the party wall, B6 Is runnig in the same direction as the exising joist so no head height is lost in the loft space. When the chimney for the loft gets demolished you take it to the ceiling level  level which means the steel goes in that void. 

i...here is the reply from the architect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back