Spirit levels - the choices arrh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm doing a DIY project of laying a porcelain tiled patio and need a set of acurate spirit levels (must include an 1800mm one) that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
Acuracy is the number one priority.
I only really need them for this one project so longevity isn't too important.
Any recommendations please?
I'm guessing this question may start a riot but please be kind.
Many thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
One with a bubble would be my recommendation!

I don't really see any value in brands and snobbery, I'm assuming any half-decent one will be accurate enough. Here's what I have, which I'd thoroughly recommend without reservation...

The rubbery ends are a useful thing for protecting them from donks. My cheapo old one just had a plastic cap, which would fall out.

Shop via Quidco for a whopping 1.5% cashback, giving you a 90p discount! I usually do, those pences soon become £10s.

Brilliant Ivor thay look just the job and at a decent price.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Top man
Andy

If you get the Screwfix ones (i.e. Magnussen ones - they used to be branded Steel Forge), just check them end to end and observe the sizes of the bubbles. You'll sometimes get them with irregular bubble sizes and occasionally the bubbles aren't true (end tovend check highlights that). That makes them maybe OK for masonry and concrete work, but I wouldn't put a kitchen in with a set of them

Sponsored Links
I don't really see any value in brands and snobbery, I'm assuming any half-decent one will be accurate enough.
Then I have to assume that you don't need to work to a highish degree of accuracy. Some brands really are (far) better than others (not just accuracy, but durability and strsightness). The variation in accuracy I tend to find out when I come to swing doors in casings put in by some monkey with poor quality levels

Then I have to assume that you don't need to work to a highish degree of accuracy. Some brands really are (far) better than others (not just accuracy, but durability and strsightness). The variation in accuracy I tend to find out when I come to swing doors in casings put in by some monkey with poor quality levels
I think you're suffering from tool brand snobbery, you probably wear Makita socks. The monkey who put in the wonky cabinets probably just didn't bother using a level or some don't even own one.

There's a simple way to check a level. Put it on a reasonably level surface, see if the bubble's in the middle. If not then remember where it actually is. Now reverse it, see if the bubble is in the same place - if it's still in the middle or the same place as before then it's accurate, if it moved when you turned it round then it's not.

Straighness is simple, put two together, reverse them, flip them over and slide them. If one was bent they wouldn't meet together, if both were bent they'd only meet if some ways round. It would probably be much more difficult to make a bent one than a straight one, I'd assume that most are just as straight as can be detected by a human, therefore everything you build will be.

You're best off buying from somewhere you can properly have a look at before you buy.

I got an own brand 1800mm from screwfix, and it's not level! No adjustment either! Never got round to taking it back, too much hassle, cheap cr@p. Handy if you want to lay paving to a fall I suppose.

If you're not going to use it much, you don't need a long level, a short one and a straight bit of wood does the same job

Personally I would get branded levels too, I’ve seen and used cheaper stuff and some shocking. These Bahco might be ok?

Last edited:
Put it on a reasonably level surface, see if the bubble's in the middle. If not then remember where it actually is. Now reverse it, see if the bubble is in the same place - if it's still in the middle or the same place as before then it's accurate, if it moved when you turned it round then it's not.

There is also the sensitivity of the bubble/level to consider. Not all levels offer the same accuracy.

I found issues with cheap levels, screw fix offerings, when you look down them, where the 'handles' have plastic crimped bits, the aluminium was deformed, so just make sure you check them before using.

I like FatMax levels FWIW.

Hi all
I'm doing a DIY project of laying a porcelain tiled patio and need a set of acurate spirit levels (must include an 1800mm one) that won't cost me an arm and a leg.
Acuracy is the number one priority.
I only really need them for this one project so longevity isn't too important.
Any recommendations please?
I'm guessing this question may start a riot but please be kind.
Many thanks in advance
Andy
We are very specific about our choice of levels. They have to be wieldy, easy to clean and easy to read.

We ALWAYS go for the flat bar type with a vertical vial at BOTH ends and the horizontal vial on the TOP and not stupidly plonked on the side. Stabilla 50mm wide. We use a 1200mm and a 600mm level. Always the same make and type every time.

Just fitted a cupboard with my Screwfixtastic level. All looks like it's the right way up to me.

I've also got tons of money, as I haven't been blowing it all on designer branded tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back