Spirit levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a spirit level available which has a large, clear display? I'm building a brick wall and having trouble seeing the display clearly and getting the level exact!

Sponsored Links
Bubble vials are generally pretty much of a muchness in terms of size. I use a Stabila 1m cast ally builder's level and it's always seemed clear enough to me. If it's a problem, though, have you thought about a level with an audible signal - as sold for kitchen fitters, installers, etc?

Scrit

The new Stanley 'Fatmax XL' levels have larger and 'more visible' vials.

How these compare with others though, I don' know.

I would suggest that any new professional level will have solid vials that are clearly visible, and will stay so if you keep them clean. You also want one with the centre vial at the top edge, and not in the centre of the side - so that you can see it from above and not have to bend and look sideways

Are you using one of the old DIY jobbies with just a bent plastic tube inside a plastic holder, with faded liquid and worn lines, and a bubble which is bigger than the gap between the lines. Many people have these and try to use them :rolleyes:

I'm using two. A 48" fisco and a short wooden level which is good where space is limited.

I've just ordered a Silverline 600 mm digital spirit level with self calibration, audible alarm, LCD display, data hold button, bells and whistles, and am also making enquiries about some professional help to get me to a level where I don't have to bend down so much (my back is breaking!!) and to a level where I can't go wrong (hopefully)!

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about using brickies pins, a line and a line level? As woody says, though, a trade level is generally just that bit clearer and easier to use. Only downer is the price - I looked up the price on my Stabila and the discounted price is around £80. Still the current one has done 25 years and is still accurate (mainly 'coz I don't drop it or throw it into the back of the van - it travels in the cab with me), so that's not a bad lifespan

Scrit

Spooky. So it seems. :eek:

Anyhow, is anyone using one of the new Stanley Fatmax XL levels?

I need a new 1.8m level, and for some reason, my existing one seems to get dropped a disproportional number of times - mainly from some height too.

I like the idea of the tough level, but wondered if it was any tougher than a ribbed box section stabila in practice?

just got the new axminster cat,they do a 1.8m "bmi super robust level"its German made and it costs£97.88 inc vat. or bmi robust for£60.00 inc vat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back