Splicing ring main, acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of moving our kitchen & as currently the cables are all surfaced mounted it's not too much of a pain to physically shift the entire kitchen socket ring to the new room and swap the new rooms 'ground floor sockets' into the old kitchen. ( the cables for the cooker and hob are easily moved)
Question is most sparks carn't be arsed to faff-about and suggest simply cutting and plicing the two existing circuits leaving the existing sockets in place.
Is it acceptable to 'splice mains cables?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean physically carry the ring circuit and sockets to another room in order to save a bit of new cable?

Where replacing lengths of cable is difficult/tiresome they can be extended with junction boxes.

Maintenance free junction boxes are best, and must be used if they are to become inaccessible.

Replacing entire lengths of cable is always better than joints.

However, sometimes it's not easy to replace whole lenghts of cable.

30 or 32A maintenance free junction boxes from Hager/Ashley will sort you out.

Bearing in mind I'm skint yes I do mean physically moving the ring mains, do bear in mind they're all surface mounted it's not as drastic as it sounds.
I asked about junction boxes as where any cut and join would be is under a half landing which is carpeted and therefore inaccessible and the answer was to 'splice' the cables together, I understood it to mean sort of crimped together a sort of larger version of the crimps used in the auto trade. I was told that it is often used to extend length of cable, hence my question.
It's not really easy to extend the cables from the consumer unit as it's located in the hallway which has original plaster coving on the ceiling and an insulated floor. All the cables run from the consumer unit up under the bathroom floor then under the landing and down to the respective rooms.
New cable will be used where required it's the initial run from the consumer unit which I don't want to replace. (all the cables are only a couple ofyears old, unfortunately she's only just decided the kitchen move.

Sponsored Links
Why do you have to cut and join under the landing?

Can you not use the bit of cable that goes in to each room to connect to the 'first' socket?

As far as 'crimping' cables with crimps, BE VERY AWARE.

If this is done, and it can be, it should be covered with heat shrink sleeving.

Far too many people now are doing this with standard insulation tape.

Although decent makes of tape can be good, this is still bad practice.

I would consider the MF junction boxes better, they even come with cable clamps to reduce the possibility of a cable getting yanked out.

Maybe space is a factor with the size of the joints.

It's not my idea to crimp the cables, if I do it myself I'd simply swap the rings around and I'm pretty sure that any 'joins' will be at new sockets.
It's the pro's who don't want the hassle of moving the old circuit and wat to cut and splice.
I don't think space is an issue re: MF junction boxes versus splice as it'll be under the landing floor.

My point is that whatever you do the cables already go into each room and merely need swapping.

If the ground floor sockets are on their own circuit, the kitchen sockets are on their own circuit, and the upstairs sockets are on their own circuit - then the chances are you can indeed just 'swap' them over - in other words use the lounge wiring for the new kitchen and the kitchen wiring for the new lounge.

Even if the cables can't be swapped, it's highly unlikely the kitchen needs it's own separate 32A ring circuit.

The kitchen does have a separate ring, the downstairs socket ring covers the hall lounge and dining room (soon to be new kitchen) whilst the kitchen sockets serve the kitchen and scullery.
The existing ring in the dining room also covers the lounge/hall and as the new kitchen will have all new sockets same for the old kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back