Splicing together external electrical cable - waterproof connector query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to splice together some external electrical cable, what type of fully waterproof connector would I need to buy? It will be exposed to all weathers of course.

To explain - I need to replace an external floodlight, but the existing electrical cable is buried in the wall and I'd rather make use of that instead of drilling a new hole and making a mess of routing some new cable.

The existing cable also isn't very long so if I was to remove the fitted cable from the replacement light I wouldn't have much of the old cable to work with, hence the idea to splice the new onto the old.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if B&Q will have all three items you need. Order it online (y)

Thanks!

The closest place to me is B&Q ........ but would it be better off ordering online?

B&Q are pants (as are most DIY sheds).

Follow the links provided if you want decent products.

I am not a professional electrician but I too would recommend the Wiska junction boxes. You can buy cheaper ones from the likes of Toolstation but they no where near as good.

Good point. The old cable exiting the wall is the stiff grey type with a rectangular profile.

That sounds like twin and earth cable, which is not suitable for use outdoors.
Maybe better to install a whole new length of outdoor-type cable without having to create a joint.

That sounds like twin and earth cable, which is not suitable for use outdoors.
Maybe better to install a whole new length of outdoor-type cable without having to create a joint.

That's surprising. It's been there for over twenty years and shows no signs of wear or deterioration.

Maybe it’s lucky enough to be in a sheltered location. Generally, the sheath of T&E PVC-sheathed cable is not UV stabilised. Repeated exposure to sunlight and frosts will break down the outer.
Your cable may, of course,not be T&E. A photo might help.

I've yet to see any twin and earth outside that had broken down in the sun to such an extent that the sheath perished

Maybe it’s lucky enough to be in a sheltered location. Generally, the sheath of T&E PVC-sheathed cable is not UV stabilised. Repeated exposure to sunlight and frosts will break down the outer.
Your cable may, of course,not be T&E. A photo might help.

It's on a south facing wall and gets full sun all day.

I'll try and get a photo some time.

Meanwhile, if I was to use a connector box (as suggested earlier in the thread) would it be a good idea to use silicone sealant just to ensure that the cable entry/exit points are watertight?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back