split load board tripping on rcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had 12w split load board fitted at home but breakers on rcb side trip when items such as kettle, hoover, microwave etc are plugged into sockets but not when items like lamps and phone are plugged in. Can anyone help on how this can be fixed before all breakers are moved to the unportected side.

Sponsored Links
My money is on a neutral to earth fault, or a neutral in the wrong bar

Yup, small N to E fault, the more load you put on, the more leakage!

When you say breakers, I assume you mean the RCD??

I looked at an install today that kept tripping out when the hoover or kettle was turned on. The CU was fitted by the DIYER over the weekend. He had 6amp breakers on ALL CIRCUITS!!!!!!!!!!!

Lectrician said:
I looked at an install today that kept tripping out when the hoover or kettle was turned on. The CU was fitted by the DIYER over the weekend. He had 6amp breakers on ALL CIRCUITS!!!!!!!!!!!
did you tell him about part p? did you ask him why he had done this? what was his response? something like "we dont use much electricity" would be a classic for using 6amp breakers on every circuit!!! ;)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Lectrician said:
did you tell him about part p? did you ask him why he had done this? what was his response? something like "we dont use much electricity" would be a classic for using 6amp breakers on every circuit!!! ;)

Pure ignorance, and cheap crappy STEEPLE (Denmans ****e) CU. Came fully loaded, he assumed an MCB was an MCB.

I think he could choose which ones, but just picked 8 of the shelf! All the same to him!

Lectrician, when you say all the same to him, I was imagining what the consequences could have been if he had ended up picking lots of, say, 40A MCBs of the shelf and fitted them to everything including lighting circuits with thin cable![/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back