Split/swollen upstand edge laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first time poster.

I am wondering if anybody has any solutions for this without replacing the upstand?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 16502715630726938082832345449639.jpg
    16502715630726938082832345449639.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
do have a wider image where is this located , back of a sink
I suspect the material has had water damage and swollen
does the area feel spongy
I had this issue on a few end panels , in the tiled/cushioned floor kitchen, because of cleaning and also a couple of spillage causing water to be around the end panel.
I had to remove them and replace, I painted with BIN to seal , and then matched the top coat at B&Q , which worked perfectly

Thanks ETAF for the advice, I have attached a wider angle shot showing the location which is next to the splashback behind the hob.

Is there an interim repair option without replacing the entire upstand? I'm not sure the best way to find a colour match!

Attachments

• 16502763072152725767314548042472.jpg
    16502763072152725767314548042472.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 110
i suspect steam etc has condensed on the splash back , or things boiling over/spillage and causing water damage.
The chipboard under the laminate my be very spongy

I'm sure one of the more experienced members / trades will have a better idea than I

I think replacing it , but unless it made really water proof , its only going to happen again.
Depending on budget, and whats else is there , i would look at maybe tiling

Whats on the other side ?

Sponsored Links
I think replacing it , but unless it made really water proof , its only going to happen again.
Depending on budget, and whats else is there , i would look at maybe tiling
My own choice for splashbacks is maybe a bit "traditional" - namely tile, stainless steel, glass or laminate (HPL, not laminated chipboard) - all of which will withstand steam, water and a certain amount of heat. These materials are all impervious to water, which really isn't such a bad idea in a kitchen, because any timber-based upstand will inevitably be affected by water and steam over time, no matter what you do with it/to it. To my mind the use of timber/timber-derived upstands is another example of style over function.

Why is it that so much stuff in kitchens and bathrooms these days is like this? Are designers so ignorant of the materials they specify? On second thoughts scratch that question, seeing how much laminate they want to put into bathrooms I have to conclude that a lot of them really are dumber than dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a hot iron over kitchen paper, likely the heat from the hob has released the adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back