splitting double insulated lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6 downlights with no earth, just red and black wires running from a switch. Currently there is one switch far away from the lights in a different room, which controls all these lights that illuminate 2 different rooms.

I want to remove old switch and have 2 new switches in the actual rooms, 1 in each room with 3 lights on each. Can I just rejoin the cable at the original switch, remove switch and then split the cable above the rooms, drop down to 2 switches and out to 3 daisy chained lights on each? I will use double insulated lights and plastic switches.

Sponsored Links
A drawing or photos of exactly how it's currently wired would be extremely helpful.

Red and black wires from switch to 1st downlight, red and black out to 2nd downlight, repeated in daisy chain, terminating at 6th downlight. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So is there a red and black feed at the switch too?

Presumably there is a supply cable to the switch, then another outgoing cable to the 6 lights?
Neutrals in a seperate connector block perhaps?

What you propose is fine. i would advise you to rewire the lot and add an earth for safety and future use.

Regards,

DS

Seems odd there is no earth though, would have expected downlighter wiring to be of an age where earth wires are present.

Perhaps the earths have been cut off, or it's been wired in some more non-conventional cable.

Or perhaps it's pre-1966 cable which served some other kind of lighting once.

IMG_20160614_224812.jpg
IMG_20160614_224909.jpg

I don't have access to the switch right now. Rewiring with earth is not really an option. Current light are low voltage, but I was hoping to go double insulated and replace with mains fire rated downlights or spots.

You're right! I cut back the sleeve to find an unsleeved earth in there. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back