splitting double insulated lighting circuit

Sponsored Links
This is the switch wiring controlling 4 sets of downlights.
IMG_20160615_154142.jpg

Is this possible: 2x 3 neutral going into that connector for 4 sets of lights?

Yes, it looks like there are 2 separate circuits feeding that switch. 2 of the neutrals are incoming, 4 outgoing. The 2 sets of neutrals must remain separated as they are. If you have only switched off one MCB/removed one fuse it is likely half of that switch is still live...

Edit: Are those red wires entering the back box from a different hole to the blacks?

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks, I get it now.

Yeah 4 sets of lights are split between 2 6A MCB, I turned both off before unscrewing fitting.

I don't have access to the switch right now. Rewiring with earth is not really an option. Current light are low voltage, but I was hoping to go double insulated and replace with mains fire rated downlights or spots.

Mains is low voltage. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean extra low voltage as in 12 volts. If so where is the transformer or switch mode supply?

Lights are non-fire rated low voltage MR16s with individual transformers. Blue/black wires in photo 1 go to transformer which is wired to light in photo 2. I was planning to change to mains (no transformer) fire rated GU10s.

Lights are non-fire rated low voltage MR16s with individual transformers. Blue/black wires in photo 1 go to transformer which is wired to light in photo 2. I was planning to change to mains (no transformer) fire rated GU10s.

What voltage are they? As I said mains, 240 volt is low voltage. Is this what you mean, if so why are there transformers?

12 volt , if that is what they are, is extra low voltage.

I think its clear to everyone that he has 12 volt and wants to fit 240 volt

Because virtually every electrical lighting supplier and manufacturer uses the term "low voltage" to refer to 12v and "mains" to refer to 240v when categorising downlights. Must very difficult for electricians to communicate with their clients if both supplier and client use common parlance for choice of lights, but electrician insists they conform to formal regulatory wording at all times.

Forgive my ignorance.

No, not difficult at all. Most people in the trade say low voltage, and mean 12 v and not 230-240 v.

And the people they say it to usually know exactly what they mean and don't react at all.

Don't worry about that.

Is it likely you can re-strip and join all the missing earths together?

Though the light fittings may not require and earth, it is extremely good practice to have a continous earth running through the light circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back