Spot The Problem

Sponsored Links
I'll go for electric shower is wired directly off the RCD in the middle.

By the single digit rating, I'm guessing lighting circuit, and the RCBO is there to "compensate" (in the installers eyes) for the lack of said earthing.
Yes, quite possibly, although that's a rather ironic form of 'compensation'.

In fact, on looking again at those conductors, I think the things we've been accusing of being single-insulated cables on the wall are probably double-insulated. What I thought was a 'fat' conductor going into the RCBO seems to actually be a red-sheathed and red-insulated conductor of fairly modest CSA - so, as you say, probably a lighting circuit.[/quote]

Kind Regards, John

The wiring looks like it could be over 45 years, looking at those buckle clips - so that could explain no earth in a lighting circuit.
Indeed
The wires look different sizes at the RCBO, yet on closer inspection it looks like perhaps one wire has been sleeved with heatshrink or sleeving.
As I've just written, I suspect it may be a red-sheathed and red-insulated cable - probably the same one which (accused of being single-insulated) we see going down the wall.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
To clear a few things up, apologies I haven't checked in for a while

The 'thick' Red and Blacks are DI lighting singles, but there is also another lighting circuit with T+no E feeding lights

Mostly all 45-50ish years old, all in ally except for a cooker circuit and the CH that BG installed.

Board clearly isn't 50+ years old so suspect BG conned the lady into a board change

And, the fault I was alluding to, was the almost pointless RCBO in ways 1+2 supplying the lights with no earth. Of course it can operate with no earth, but I don't get the thinking behind "there's no earth so I'll put it on an RCD" rather than actually correcting the fault / posting a warning label - which are the appropriate ways to deal with no earth[/list]

And, the fault I was alluding to, was the almost pointless RCBO in ways 1+2 supplying the lights with no earth. Of course it can operate with no earth, but I don't get the thinking behind "there's no earth so I'll put it on an RCD" rather than actually correcting the fault / posting a warning label - which are the appropriate ways to deal with no earth
Indeed so - so mfarrow was more-or-less spot on...
By the single digit rating, I'm guessing lighting circuit, and the RCBO is there to "compensate" (in the installers eyes) for the lack of said earthing.
Yes, quite possibly, although that's a rather ironic form of 'compensation'.

Kind Regards, John

If your changing a bulb in a plastic holder and accidentally touch the line pin then the rcbo will trip.

So it's not pointless.

IIRC the ESC best practice guide for changing consumer units incorporating lighting circuits with no cpc recommended the use of RCDs (before the other requirements for RCDs on lighting circuits)

Yes, I heard something along those lines.

So if you're changing a consumer unit and the lights have no earth, whether you use an RCBO or not, you're not really making it any worse, are you?

It's very common to come across old lighting circuits that were wired with a combination of twin+earth and just twin.

IIRC the ESC best practice guide for changing consumer units incorporating lighting circuits with no cpc recommended the use of RCDs (before the other requirements for RCDs on lighting circuits)

The ESC guide says only to fit an RCD/RCBO if IR tests at less than 1 mΩ

http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BPG1v2_web.pdf Page 9

I do agree, it's not making things worse, but in this case, there were brass switches and fittings throughout regardless

The ESC guide says only to fit an RCD/RCBO if IR tests at less than 1 mΩ

You mean 1MΩ. I presume.

It doesn't say ONLY if

On page 7 it says you should decline replacement of CU if <1M&#937; but ALSO if customer refuses fitting of CPC then fit an RCD.

Then, as you point to, page 9 says if resistance <1M&#937; fit RCD.

Typical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back