Spotlight fire hazard ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed some mains 50 watt recessed spotlights in my hallway and landing, the only problem is i drilled one of the holes a bit close to the one of the loft joists and the lamp holder is touching it.
Does anyone know how hot these things get and whether this is a potential fire hazard ?
I'm keeping my eye on it for now, but i guess what i'm asking is do i need to move it ?

Sponsored Links
hi jonny, for a fire to ignite you need three elements and these are fuel, oxygen and ignition and as timber has a high tolerance to heat i think you are ok, however you should pay particular attention to the possible spread of fire from one level to another, you can buy fire hoods which cover's the lamp holder to help prevent this.
best of luck. mel :D

Thanks Guys, i can see what you mean about fire spreading between different levels of the house as the ceiling is no longer 'sealed'. I bought these lights from a well known diy shed and there was no warning of these fire risks on the packaging / instructions, should there be ?

Sponsored Links
you might try and find non-dichroic bulbs for them (they do exist). Dichroic halogens throw light downwards, and (most of the) heat upwards. A non dichroic bulb sens most of everything down. This may help to reduce the temperature.

hi again jonny, only work that is in a (special location) would have to have building control notification as long as you get a qualified spark to do the testing and issue a minor works certificate :D

I'm currently fitting a fair number of these things. What I discovered when I removed some old fittings (I say old, they can't be more than a year old but the previous owners decided they'd look nice covered in artex) and found where they'd been fitted beneath a boarded loft and covered in insulation, the terminal chamber had melted to the point that the only way to open it was to literally, crack it open. The plastic had become brittle.

So personally, I'm making sure every fitting has reasonable clearance from loft insulation. It might not catch fire itself but a melting light fitting shows a pretty careless installation.

I've also noticed how much the design of these fittings varies. I've bought from all the main DIY places most have the terminal chamber mounted directly above the lamp. However, some I bought recently have the chamber mounted offset on a small arm so it's not directly over the lamp.

Some I've bought (homebase) have a terminal chamber design that is downright dangerous. You undo the lid retaining screws and bare screw connectors fall out, still connected to the cables. Now of course you should disconnect the supply when working on these but they are sold in a DIY shop where anyone can buy and install them.

Which leads of course onto the whole aspect of anyone being able to buy equipment that could come under part P. The best example being in my local B&Q warehouse, a huge wall hung sign proudly showing you 'how to wire up an electric shower'! I wonder how many electric showers they've sold to the general public since part P came into force? And these downlighters sold in B&Q still come in a pack showing you the zones in a bathroom and where you can and can't fit them. How about 'these lights are not suitable for DIY installation in a bathroom'? In fact, if the deputy prime ministers office is so keen to implement part P, why don't they sort out these DIY places by forcing them to use clear and up to date signage?

I totally agree with you jonny7, i consider myself a pretty competent DIYer but i find the whole Part P thing totally confusing and easy to bypass in its current form. it really needs sorting out.

As for my joist problem - i'm thinking that as long as i leave the smallest of gaps between joist and bulb holder i won't create a fire hazzard. i have removed the insulation around it and I have enough of an air gap above. Thanks for all your comments everyone.

Jonny7 said:
Some I've bought (homebase) have a terminal chamber design that is downright dangerous. You undo the lid retaining screws and bare screw connectors fall out, still connected to the cables.
DIY shed, cheap, nasty - do you see the connection?

Now of course you should disconnect the supply when working on these but they are sold in a DIY shop where anyone can buy and install them.
So?

Which leads of course onto the whole aspect of anyone being able to buy equipment that could come under part P.
All electrical work on fixed appliances and wiring in dwellings comes "under part P".

The best example being in my local B&Q warehouse, a huge wall hung sign proudly showing you 'how to wire up an electric shower'! I wonder how many electric showers they've sold to the general public since part P came into force?
I don't know, but the DIY fitting of showers was not made illegal by Part P.

And these downlighters sold in B&Q still come in a pack showing you the zones in a bathroom and where you can and can't fit them. How about 'these lights are not suitable for DIY installation in a bathroom'?
In what way are they not suitable? I'm not aware of any laws preventing it.

In fact, if the deputy prime ministers office is so keen to implement part P, why don't they sort out these DIY places by forcing them to use clear and up to date signage?
If they do, let's hope they get someone with a better grasp of the law than you to do them eh? ;)

jonny_throstle said:
I totally agree with you jonny7, i consider myself a pretty competent DIYer but i find the whole Part P thing totally confusing
Then you should make more of an effort and concentrate on what the actual law says, and not on the variety of incorrect interpretations on the websites of local authorities, scheme organisers and even the ODPM...

ban-all-sheds said:
The best example being in my local B&Q warehouse, a huge wall hung sign proudly showing you 'how to wire up an electric shower'! I wonder how many electric showers they've sold to the general public since part P came into force?
I don't know, but the DIY fitting of showers was not made illegal by Part P.
no, but i think the sign he is referring to has info on it like the circuit design and where to run cables and other generics to every install, i bet nowhere on it does it say "this job is part p-able" i bet it says "contact your local building control before starting this work" nothing about it being the law.

jonny_throstle wrote:
I totally agree with you jonny7, i consider myself a pretty competent DIYer but i find the whole Part P thing totally confusing

ban-all-sheds wrote:
Then you should make more of an effort and concentrate on what the actual law says, and not on the variety of incorrect interpretations on the websites of local authorities, scheme organisers and even the ODPM...

The fact that the law is open to interpretation is what makes it confusing and incorrectly quoted on other websites. there are loads of posts on this site alone where people are arguing about whats covered and whats not covered.

Why is the average domestic DIYer going to take any notice of this law if they are confident they have done a decent job and are not planning to sell thier house in the next 5 years, and, can say they carried out the work before the law came into place ?

You obviously think its a good law Ban ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back