Spotlight fire hoods and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bungalow with a fairly large kitchen with spotlights in and currently no insulation above due to what I thought would be a fire risk.

Someone then said I could place firehoods above each spot light in the loft (just joists and not boarded out) and then put insulation pretty close to the lights and offering a great deal more insulation to the kitchen ceiling.

Want to know is this would be safe and what the safe distances would be. Want to get this sorted out before the winter sets in.

Thanks¬

Sponsored Links
Fire hoods reduce the spread of fire through the holes in the ceiling where the lights are.
Fire hoods cannot be covered with insulation or anything else. Adding them will just be a waste of money.

If you want to put insulation over downlights, this is the type of product to use:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/JCC/Fire_Cover_Downlight/index.html

A better solution is to remove the downlighters completely and install more suitable light fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back