Spotlight help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to DIY and am learning as I go... But I need to replace my spotlights in the bathroom, I have purchased new IP rated lights which say they need a 220-240v 50hz power supply which my existing ( still working) transformers are. I have removed the old lights and replaced them with the new I'm getting electric to the live cable but not to the bulb can anyone tell me why?

Point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the transformers and connect the cable that fed the transformer to the lights.

Thanks DaveHerns, seems obvious when it's pointed out!

I'll give it a go!!!

Well I'm stumped Daveherns. I've removed the transformer & installed the light to the same junction box the transformer was on but no joy! The only thing I can think of is it may not work as there is still a transformer wired up on the same circuit ( but to a different light) are idea?

Sponsored Links
To clarify, are your old lamps 12 volts? And supplied by transformers with 230v in and 12v out?

Having another transformer on the same circuit isn't an issue. Can you upload some pictures?

Yes the old lamps were 12 v supplied by transformers I think 220-240v in & 12v out.

Pictures to follow!

25z14c1.jpg

Hope you can see this

Another thing.

This:

screenshot_892.jpg

is a completely inadequate instruction. You must find out from the manufacturer what clearance is required for an enclosure which will allow you to reinstate the insulation over the top. If they cannot or will not specify that then those lights are not suitable for installing in a room where what's above is a roof space and not another room. And whatever you do put above the lights to provide the clearance must be sealed to the ceiling, as you must stop warm moist air from getting into the loft where it will condense and quite possibly cause your roof timbers to rot.

1gkweq.jpg

This was the original transformer

No it's not. It is a pulse width modulated power supply.

Winston, get off your hobby horse.
Don't confuse the newbies, the box he is referring to actually has the words "electronic transformer" written on it. So it is quite understandable for Rileybaby to call it that.

If you have an issue with this, please take it up with the manufacturer. Looks like its made by either SELV or EMC.

Thanks taylortwocities, as I said I'm a newbie winston I assumed it was what it said on the tin!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back