Spotlights in fitted wardrobe - DANGER?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im going to replace the creamish looking cupboards in my bedroom with white design as per pic.

as you can see there are some spotlights on top of current setup
new setup will be floor to ceiling

i wanted to know if its ok to have those spot lights as they are......but just cover them by placing a shelf (as per red line) in the new cupboards?

this will cover the spotlights basically - and still allow me to use some of the space in the pull out door i plan to have......

just wanted to know if it was risky - as they can get hot and currently have completely open air - but would be slightly enclosed in new setup....

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
Not recommended..
there are minimum clearances and so on..
plasterboard lining with fire hoods and a fan for ventilation?

but dont a lot of people have spotlights as part of there fitted wardrobes now?
I'm sure they do.

I'm equally sure that not long after they wonder why they didn't put lights in which actually do the job of lighting up the inside so that they can see all the contents properly.

Sponsored Links
can you get a little spotlight bar that works off a plug?

if this isnt safe option to place a shelf on top, then i have a plug there which i can use? and possible run a mains spotlight bar? if such a thing exists?

Not recommended..
there are minimum clearances and so on..
Long time no see, Col...

No reason to think that the space he shows will not provide enough clearance.

F rated ones would be a good idea, the use of LED or CFL ones even better.

Halgen spotlights in wardrobes have burnt clothes that were piled up too high in the the wardrobe.

So if those are halogen lamps then there is a risk

so if i can get LED spotlights bulbs to fit on existing fitting and then ask the wardrobe fitter to leave a reasonable amount of space there - it would be ok?

You don't really want spot lights, do you?

Wouldn't a small flourescent fitting above the mirror be better?

is there anything against spotlights?

can this flourescent fitting be fitted with a mains plug? or existing connection on pull switch?

not sure if its a girly thing - but they always love spotlights in my experience!

well where the lights "Shine" of course is clear open area with just mirror as per pic.

above it is my worry......i just dont know how safe it is.........you can see from the pic i attached theres a lot of wires...i dont know if there is danger of over heating etc.....

any conclusive yes or no on safety of this would be much appreciated.....not sure i have that atm,......

is there anything against spotlights?
Yes, they light spots.

can this flourescent fitting be fitted with a mains plug? or existing connection on pull switch?
Of course, or you could wire it properly.

not sure if its a girly thing - but they always love spotlights in my experience!
That doesn't make it right.

ok thanks - any other suggestions or comments from anybody please do let me know :)

i would like to maintain current setup with a shelf ideally - thats my first choice given everything.
just dont know how safe it is...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back