Spotlights stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The other day In turned on my kitchen/diner lights ( which are all sotlights bulit into the celing) and they flicked on then went straight out like they had fused. We checked the fuse box and all was fine so don't really know whats happened. Fortunatley I own lots of lamps so have managed to live without for now because before getting in a an electician, just wanted to do a bit of research in case its something we could sort out ourselves.

Do spotlights usually work in a circuit, therefore if one bulb goes they all go??

This a new house and never had spotlights before so don't really know much about them.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Katy

Sponsored Links
Do spotlights usually work in a circuit, therefore if one bulb goes they all go??
No. If they have all stopped working, either there is a loose connection at the start of the circuit / in the switch (likely), or they are all supplied from a single large transformer which has failed (unlikely).

This a new house and never had spotlights before so don't really know much about them.
They are hugely inefficient, get extremely hot, are expensive to run, and usually do a poor job of lighting the room.

Do you know what voltage the lamps are? If they are 12v, then you have probably got a problem with a transformer which is feeding all of the lights. These are replaceable and it is probably in the ceiling.

If you have 240v lamps, then it's more likely a loose connection at the switch.

you've got a loose wire in the switch or a junction box somewhere, or a seriously overloaded and possibly slightly melted transformer under the floor..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, Does this sound like I need a electrician to identify and fix the problem, bearing in mind my partner or myself has no skills regarding electrical items!

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

sounds like I need a a electrician after all, and a builder to rip down my ceiling or dig up my floor! Is the job as brutal as it sounds?

How would I find out what voltage my lights are?

Thanks everyone for your advice :confused:

take a bulb ( shudder* ) out and see if it has straight pins on the back or mushroom head lugs..

if it's pins then it's 12Volt, if it's lugs then it's 230Volt

*I use the word bulb so that you know what I mean.. it's actually called a lamp ( bulbs grow in the ground ) but if we say lamp, most DIY'ers think we mean the whole fitting..

ok I will try that, its a new house to me not the bukid although it is only 8 years old, but no sign of a guarantee.

Now boilers just gone kaput! Thought buying anewish house meant there might be fewer problems!

Thanks guys

sounds like I need a a electrician after all, and a builder to rip down my ceiling or dig up my floor! Is the job as brutal as it sounds?

No, usually a faulty transformer is locateable through the spotlight holes. And there should be enough slack on the cable to pull it out and replace it. Not an expensive or messy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back