Spray foam window instead of bricking up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We have an original single pane window behind a built in wardrobe that is collecting a lot of condensation which is staying in the wardrobe. Got a quote to brick it up and replaster of £2.2k (!!), so wondering if instead of bricking up could just dry the window as much as possible and then spray foam the whole cavity and then fresh insulated plasterboard over the whole area (after having chipped away old plaster to get to the brick). Would that solve the condensation problem? We have checked there are no leaking pipes/gutters, it’s just external wall and single pane window causing condensation.

Thoughts much appreciated!

IMG_5146.jpeg

Sponsored Links
How much ?!!! There is no need to even remove the window and 100mm of PIR insulation cut to fit snug as possible to the inner skin and then chase out a square frame of plaster to the inside around the window then cut, fit and skim a plasterboard and decorate to suit.

Sponsored Links
I agree a shame to loose it, as said add extra glazing maybe bet a round double glazed window without the frame and silicone it in. Most people want to add a light in to their wardrobe -- you have got a window !

Single skin brick with lime plaster walls? Looks like it but can't be sure. Read up on that.
You need a couple of dehumidifiers that are around £100 each and run for 3+ hours in the evening up and downstairs to control moisture in the house.
Use dehumidifier and a summer fan to dry washing in a room as wet washing in the winter is a massive problem. We are pulling over a litre of water out the air every evening with both machines and I don't notice the extra running costs.
Above post covers how to cover window. I'd put lining paper inside wardrobe and a breathable paint.
You will never totally eliminate condensation in a wardrobe but you can manage it.

just make sure the colour visible from the outside won't annoy you

Thanks all! It’s 1930s end of terrace and I believe it’s double brick. Not sure about the plaster. We’ve got a dehumidifier but they are quite expensive to run these days with electricity prices as they are.

So I could order a circular double glazed window to the correct size and fit that and you think that would solve the issue? It wouldn’t create condensation and mould in between the single plane original window and the new double glazed one? What sort of window? We don’t really care how it looks. Sorry, I am no expert at all here! Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back