Springy door hinge fail - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I have made a big fail of trying to unscrew the spring-y hinge from my door. I managed to get 3 of the screws out, then the 4th was too tight to turn so I only succeed in ruining the screwhead to keep it stuck forever. In this state the door would no longer latch. I then compounded my fail by trying to put the other screws back in, but the spring was so strong I couldn't get the angle right and now, as you can see, the screws are only partially in with further damage to screwheads. I can now no longer move any of the screws further in or out, and the door is closing even less successfully than before.
I've tried getting a friend to hold while I screw, but the spring is SO strong, and the angle is so awkward, we couldn't do anything but make it worse.
Does anyone have any advice please??!!
Thank you,
xxx
hinge.JPG

Sponsored Links
Open the door as far as possible. slip a screwdriver through the chain to stop it pulling the door closed, then drill out the screw.
Once the plate is off use mole grips to turn the screw.

This sort of tool

As above, the door closers are often referred to a Perkos.

The section on the door is the bit with the "spring". It is not in the door frame.

Open the door as far as you can and then, as per @footprints advice, clamp the chain as far as far as you can to the door edge. then close the door very slightly. The chain will no longer be under stress, and you may be able to use a manual screwdriver to remove the screw.

If push comes to shove, use a bolt cutter or hacksaw to cut through the chain. It will immediately snap back into the door (rapidly). You can then remove the Perko without it being under stress.

If the screws in the frame are completely chuffed, you can lever the door frame side off.

Thank you so much - that's really helpful.
I now have a further question.
You can't quite see from the picture, and I didn't realise at first, but in trying to screw those bottom screws in at an angle I have actually bent them, as well as mangled the screwhead. This is why I can no longer even close the door.
Do you have any advice for removing completely mangled screws??

Sponsored Links
Mole grips or pliers, but pliers you will need a very strong grip!
Brute force, assuming you are permanently removing the device, crowbar and simply drag them out, then make good the damage.

Don't forget to lock off the chain when working on it!

Always a useful tool to have handy.

blue-spot-tools-15-flat-pry-bar/5028734255355_BQ.prd

Perkos are only ever fitted for a reason, typically in a domestic setting to close a fire door so it should be refitted/replaced or an other suitable closing device fitted.

Perkos are only ever fitted for a reason, typically in a domestic setting to close a fire door so it should be refitted/replaced or an other suitable closing device fitted.
Quite true, but often a pain with children getting fingers caught or disabled folks getting through them with walking aids or wheelchairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back