Spur from a lolipop...?

This, of course, is where one of the potential problems arises. Since it's not conventional and hence probably 'not in their I&T book'....
Indeed. The house currently has an ECIR, but the 6mm spur had been taken out of the CU and connected behind the board with choco block into two short lenghts of 2.5mm and thus disgused, and oddly, passed the continunity tests with ease...
If it were tested as a radial, then it presumably would 'pass' the continuity tests. However, that would leave the possibilty that a broken 'ring' or bridged 'ring' may have gone undetected.
If its labled as 'Conservatory Ring, inc boiler and light' and is then a single peice of 6mm I would have thought that would have given at least some of the idea as to what they might be looking at? I am also going to lable all the wires coming in/out of the junction box as to what they are. I might write 'lollipop' on the 6mm as it goes into the breaker!
Indeed. As I said, I think the more labelling and documentation the better!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it were tested as a radial, then it presumably would 'pass' the continuity tests. However, that would leave the possibilty that a broken 'ring' or bridged 'ring' may have gone undetected.
I assume it was tested, as it would appear, as a ring.

Ie, they where testing from the CU, 6inches down one leg of 2.5, round the chockblock, and back down another 6inches of 2.5 to the breaker again. But I wasnt there, nor at the time, did I know about the majority of the run being the length of 6mm.

Daniel

I assume it was tested, as it would appear, as a ring. Ie, they where testing from the CU, 6inches down one leg of 2.5, round the chockblock, and back down another 6inches of 2.5 to the breaker again. But I wasnt there, nor at the time, did I know about the majority of the run being the length of 6mm.
I'm getting a bit confused, and have been moved tho read more carefully what you wrote in your last post. You wrote:
Indeed. The house currently has an ECIR, but the 6mm spur had been taken out of the CU and connected behind the board with choco block into two short lenghts of 2.5mm and thus disgused, and oddly, passed the continunity tests with ease...
Are you saying that the 6mm² 'stick' of the lollipop enters the CU as two very short 2.5mm² cables in parallel? If so, was that just someone's attempt to 'deceive' anyone looking at it into thinking it was a conventional ring? If that was the setup, then any continuity testing of those two (parallel) 2.5mm² cables will obviously have been meaningless, and one would have thought that the extremely low resistance would have caused alarm bells to ring! ... or have I misunderstood you?

Kind Regards, John

Are you saying that the 6mm² 'stick' of the lollipop enters the CU as two very short 2.5mm² cables in parallel? If so, was that just someone's attempt to 'deceive' anyone looking at it into thinking it was a conventional ring? If that was the setup, then any continuity testing of those two (parallel) 2.5mm² cables will obviously have been meaningless...
Yes exactly that.

I have a house full of this sort of trick, his plumbing is worse than his wiring.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the 6mm² 'stick' of the lollipop enters the CU as two very short 2.5mm² cables in parallel? If so, was that just someone's attempt to 'deceive' anyone looking at it into thinking it was a conventional ring? If that was the setup, then any continuity testing of those two (parallel) 2.5mm² cables will obviously have been meaningless...
Yes exactly that. I have a house full of this sort of trick, his plumbing is worse than his wiring.
Hmmmm! What on earth are the test results on the EICR for the 'ring' that was apparently tested.

It terms of 'giving future electricians/inspectors a chance', I would suggest that you replace that parallel pair of 6" 2.5mm² cables with some 6mm² (or simply pull the 6mm² into the CU, if enough slack can be found). They will at least see that (a) it's not a ring originating at the CU and (b) that, in view of the size of the cable, something 'unusual' is going on!

Kind Regards, John

Fortunatly the 6mm hasnt been cut, and has enough lenght to come back into the CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back