Spur from cooker socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it's OK to connect a shower pump to a 45a cooker socket and run another fused spur with 2 sockets from the same line? Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That depends on your cooker, and several other electrical considerations - but it might be alright.

It's probably best to say no.
Can you not connect the new things to the socket circuit?

I was once asked by a customer why the cooker cut out when someone had a shower, the shower circuit was connected to the cooker circuit

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I should have said -

Yes, the shower pump will make no difference but the sockets might.

Thanks for all your inputs. It was already connected. I never had any problems with the circuit, but as we are selling we had an inspection arranged by our buyers which raised some issues. Not sure if this came into it but I was just wondering, as the connections into the junction box weren't as well done as they could have been - ie sleeves cut back too far and it looked untidy. I just thought this may be a problem. From the feedback I think it may be OK. Thanks again chaps and ladies.

BTW The sockets are fused and in the loft.

Thanks for all your inputs. It was already connected. I never had any problems with the circuit, but as we are selling we had an inspection arranged by our buyers which raised some issues.
Have they told you what they are?

Inspections like that are a standard technique to get the price down.

Not sure if this came into it but I was just wondering, as the connections into the junction box weren't as well done as they could have been - ie sleeves cut back too far and it looked untidy.
Nobody in their right mind would think that required the price to be lowered.

No I don't know what they are yet because the buyers arranged the inspection and the electrician said they would be sending them the report. I have asked for a copy from the buyers so I can get it all fixed. It appears that the main issue is earthing but I'll have to wait and see. I must add that the electrician who did the inspection stated they can't do the repairs due to a heavy work load so I don't think they are trying to make anything out of it. One thing which was mentioned was that they would be recommending the consumer unit should be replaced. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's just old. Of course it's going to be damned expensive! I feel pretty naffed off right now. Thanks guys for all youir suggestions.

Regulations are not retrospective. It is not necessary to change the consumer unit just because it was installed to an older edition of the regulations.

Regulations are not retrospective. It is not necessary to change the consumer unit just because it was installed to an older edition of the regulations.
Indeed, and nor is it usually sensible or practical (for eitehr side) for a vendor to have work done on a house to 'facilitate' a sale (at the request of a prospective buyer)...

.... if the work is undertaken before contracts are exchanged, there's no guarantee that the person who has requested the work will end up buying the house (and the next prospective buyer might not want the work done). If contracts are exchanged before the work is undertaken, the buyer has no guarantee that the work will actually be done, even though they are then committed to the purchase.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back