Spur from cooker socket

JohnW2 What you said makes sense to me. I think I will have anything done which is deemed necessary but the advisory stuff like new consumer unit I will have to ignore. They never said it was dangerous. How much would I have to do anyway - rewire the whole house? I think I will show another electrician the report and get his opinion on what is necessary fo safety and what is not, get it done and leave it at that as I do want to sell it knowing it's safe. The report seems to be very finicky and being a very old property there will be things which are not up to scratch anyway. Thanks again for all your input.

Sponsored Links
You just have to tell them "The price takes into account the electrics as they are. Do you want to buy the house or not?".
whssign.gif

I think I will have anything done which is deemed necessary
Up to you, unless (AIUI) you are in Scotland. If not, I think most people would say don't bother, unless there are things so wrong that you and your family face grave danger all the time.

I think I will show another electrician the report and get his opinion on what is necessary fo safety and what is not
If the report has been competently done then that should be identified. See Page 9.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When an inspection is carried out on an existing installation (EICR) the inspection is carried out against the CURRENT version of the regulations.
HOWEVER, items that do not meet today's regulations should be marked as a C3 (improvement recommended). There is no need for you to do any of these items, and that would include changing the consumer unit.
UNLESS it is required due to a dangerous breach of the regulations.
This guide will give you an insight to what the levels are
Best Practice Guide 4 Issue 4 (1.00 MB)

You may want to attend to any dangerous items (class C1), for your own safety. Anything else is cosmetic.

On that report, anything should be noted with the classification of non-compliance, the code (C1,2 or 3) and the specific regulation that applies.
Do come back with anything you don't understand, we love ripping into false or misleading EICRs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back