Spur Fused Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am planning to have a single fused switch 13amps, to connect my television to. This is going to spur off from a double socket next to it.
I am going to use 2.5mm2 cabling.

I was wondering how to tell if the double socket is going to be suitable for the job??

Any help would be great..

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How many wires in the socket and what fuse/ mcb controls that socket.

May help to try to establish if the socket is part of a ring, radial or already a spur.

I think it is a ring circuit, i cannot take a look at the mo cuz me mrs is watchin TV n she wont be pleased.

The fuse will be a 13 amp fuse in the socket its self, but the main fuse board has a 32amp fuse installed at the moment.

I have my TV on the wall at the moment and an extension lead is running up the wall. It looks rubbish. So i wanted to use a fused switch n then bury the wires behind the plaster board to get that clean look.

I will look asap.

Thanks for the response.

... spur off from a double socket next to it ...

... use a fused switch n then bury the wires behind the plaster board to get that clean look.

Do you mean you intend to bury the TV power lead in the wall and take it down to a FCU next to the existing socket? If so - do NOT do that.

The correct way is to install another socket outlet on the wall behind the television and plug the TV into that.

Hi,
I would get a spark to do it for you! I agree with the last poster, I would wire up to another socket, not a spur. 13a would be the wrong fuse rating for a TV!! Don't run the ariel in the same conduit BTW.

Dunc

We know a sparky so hopefully he should be able to help.

So is this the correct way below.

Run a spur with 2.5mm2 from the double socket (if socket is suitable), this will go into a fused single unit switched. Then run another lenght of 2.5mm2 up to another socket which will sit behind the TV. The TV will then plug directly into that.

Thanks for all the help!!

You won't necessarily need a fused connection unit between the double socket and the new single socket by the TV. Do you know how to test whether your double socket is directly on a ring? If it's not, then this job has just got more complicated!

To test to see if the socket is directly on a ring circuit i will have to see how many sets of cables go into the back of the socket, Right??

What are the possiblities of this??

thanks

You'll need a meter to test whether you are on a ring. Turn off the power, open up the socket. Hopefully there will be two cables inside. Seperate them from the socket and measure the impedance betwen the two live cores (brown or red). A low reading will indicate a ring. You can add a socket directly to this using one 2.5mm cable. You won't need a fcu unless you particularly want to isolate the TV from below. You will then have a total of three cables in the first socket. If you do not get confirmation of a ring, or there is only one, or more than two cables in the first socket, then you have a problem.

Want an FCU other wise the TV will be on standby 24/7. This will serve to easily switch on and off as we wish.
Down stairs we have a FCU which controls the washing machine and this runs to another plug socket to which the washing machine is plugged into.

Obviously i will be still getting the socket tested before i do anything, but on the above fact is their any possiblilty that the bedroom socket will be suitable.

i have found this web site.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/ring_main.htm

Asuming that mine is a ring, is this info accurate, i.e. Max 7200Watt etc.

Thanks

Have a look at the TV on the wall mount. Right, is there space for a single 230v socket and the TV plug to sit inside the TV 'footprint' ?

There should be and then it's a matter of deciding the exact position of the socket so it can:-

1/ Be hidden behind the TV footprint
2/ Take a plug in the socket
3/ Be positioned (normally on the lower left side) to allow you to switch the socket on and off

On the assumption that your feeder double socket is a 1st floor ring circuit simply add the 2.5 TE cable to the existing terminations in the socket at floor level.

Certain sockets are flatter faced than others and the lower the profile of the flush fitted socket the better. GET / Contactium are good for this.

With luck when you cut out the p/board for the dry line back box you might be able to drop down a string on a weight (I use a few penny washers) to avoid having to chase out the whole cable route between existing socket and the socket location behind the TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back