Spur in 1.5

Not 'literally' that I am aware of (but others might prove me wrong). However, you could do it with a 'modular' system, which would allow two socket modules to be installed on one (double size) front plate - but using a blanking plate (assuming available) instead of one of the socket modules

Kind regards, John
One possible option may be a rcd single socket that fits a double backbox

Sponsored Links
One possible option may be a rcd single socket that fits a double backbox
That would certainly 'fit', but it seems to be unnecessarily 'contrived' (and something additional/unnecessary to go wrong) - particularly given what I, and maybe also you, probably would 'do' {or maybe not do !!

Kind Regards John

They're not "views" - it's a fact of BS 1363.
I'm getting fairly sick of having to keep repeating this ...

BS 1362 establishes a minimum standard but, provided that is satisfied, the 'rating' depends on the actual product, and is indicated in manufacturer's Specification.

BS 1363 requires that a double socket passes the temperature-rise test with a total current of 20A (14A + 6A), but that in no way means that a company cannot manufacture (let alone 'is prohibited from manufacturing'!) a product which passes that test at 26A (so obviously still BS 1363-complaint) and hence in the Specification indicate that the 'rating' of their product is 26A.

Sponsored Links
Having read all the helpfull comments I decided I would change the cable to 2.5mm, very glad I made this decision as this is what I found buried under the plaster........
IMG_20220909_161027[1].jpg

Having read all the helpfull comments I decided I would change the cable to 2.5mm, very glad I made this decision as this is what I found buried under the plaster........
Hmmm! ... but far from the first time we've seen that sort of thing!

Kind Regards, John

I'm getting fairly sick of having to keep repeating this ...

BS 1362 establishes a minimum standard but, provided that is satisfied, the 'rating' depends on the actual product, and is indicated in manufacturer's Specification.

BS 1363 requires that a double socket passes the temperature-rise test with a total current of 20A (14A + 6A), but that in no way means that a company cannot manufacture (let alone 'is prohibited from manufacturing'!) a product which passes that test at 26A (so obviously still BS 1363-complaint) and hence in the Specification indicate that the 'rating' of their product is 26A.
I'm sick of pointing out that they are tested and certified with a 20A test, so any greater current cannot be relied upon. Nor should that be pulled through an unfused spur. The whole concept is based on the assumption of a maximum of 20A and not your mythical 26A. So deal with it.

I'm sick of pointing out that they are tested and certified with a 20A test, so any greater current cannot be relied upon. Nor should that be pulled through an unfused spur.
Why not - if the spur is suitably sized?

The whole concept is based on the assumption of a maximum of 20A and not your mythical 26A. So deal with it.
Some of us do not agree with you conclusion -

Primarily because there is nothing to stop Mr.Public plugging in two 13A loads, therefore if you were correct then the double socket is not fit for purpose.

I'm sick of pointing out that they are tested and certified with a 20A test, so any greater current cannot be relied upon.

I'm also rather sick of pointing out that that is not true.

What IS true is that compliance with BS 1363, per se, means that one cannot rely on the product's ability to cope with currents greater than 20A.

However, the 'rating' of the product, as indicated in the product specification (and quite possibly marked on the product) is determined by the manufacturer's testing and QC, and can exceed the minimum requirements of BS 1363 - and one can (or, at least, should be able to) rely upon that 'rating'.

Some of us do not agree with you conclusion - Primarily because there is nothing to stop Mr.Public plugging in two 13A loads, therefore if you were correct then the double socket is not fit for purpose.
Quite.

If one takes the MK sockets as an example, the manufacturer's 'rating' (which, as eric would probably say, they would have to be prepared to justify 'in Court'!) stated as "13A per socket outlet" can only mean one of two things for a double socket - either 13A total or 26A total. Although, when I spoke to them, the MK technical folk weren't sure, I would suggest that 13A total is very unlikley to be what it was intended to mean - in which case it would have to be 26A total.

Kind Regards, John

Many manufacturers often exceed the test limits when producing consumables. Certain countries get by with the minimum pass mark.

When I used to repair electric motors the minimum insulation resistance was 1M ohm. Our company had a minimum of at least 100M ohm before releasing back to the customer but 99% of the time the inspection wouldn't release unless it was reading as infinity.

Many manufacturers often exceed the test limits when producing consumables. Certain countries get by with the minimum pass mark.

When I used to repair electric motors the minimum insulation resistance was 1M ohm. Our company had a minimum of at least 100M ohm before releasing back to the customer but 99% of the time the inspection wouldn't release unless it was reading as infinity.

I used to deal with very large motors, in a damp laden environment and often 3.3kv. They were installed with heater circuits, to help keep them dry, which would be powered up just as soon as they arrived on site. 100M ohm was the desired test point.

Of course they do. Risteard (and others) doesn't seem to understand that there are countless situations in which people need products whose characteristics/performance exceed the minimum required by a relevant product Standard (such that mere 'compliance with the Standard' is not adequate for them), and that manufacturers produce such items and 'rate' them according to their actual characteristics/performance, as determined by their testing and QC.

Kind Regards, John

The specification for MK Logic Plus socket outlets available here: https://docs.rs-online.com/f17b/0900766b811ba3bc.pdf clearly states:
Current rating:
13A per socket outlet
(except 3 gang which is 13 amp in total)

It also states that the sockets comply with BS 1363: Part 2: 1995.

This is just one example of a double socket outlet which is rated at 13A per outlet.

I used to deal with very large motors, in a damp laden environment and often 3.3kv. They were installed with heater circuits, to help keep them dry, which would be powered up just as soon as they arrived on site. 100M ohm was the desired test point.

3.3Kv was the standard fayre when I worked in the HT workshop, and they were flash tested at 11kv
11Kv motors, which we usually got 3 or 4 a year for rewind, were tested at 33Kv minimum. All coils were pre-tested in a metal jig simulating the core pack before being inserted in to the stator. Before any phase connections were made all the individual coils were then tested again and any faulty ones were removed and sent for repair while we fitted spare ones. Once all the phase connections had been made it would be tested again before the inter-connections were made. Flash testing lasted a minimum of 3 minutes at full test voltage before slowly ramping down to working voltage for a further 5 minutes. The workshop used to smell like an over chlorinated swimming baths by the time we had finished because because of the ozone breakdown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back