Spur in 1.5

Sponsored Links
The specification for MK Logic Plus socket .... 13A per socket outlet (except 3 gang which is 13 amp in total) ... This is just one example of a double socket outlet which is rated at 13A per outlet.
Indeed, but as I've said countless times over the years (and repeat above), when I spoke to them even the Technical Support Staff at MK were unable to tell me for certain what what meant by "13A per outlet" (since, they told me, the "Technical Data Sheets" were written by the marketing dept.!!) - so the uncertainty is to whether a double socket has one or two "socket outlets".

Common sense says that it has two "outlets" - but, as above, the MK Technical folk did not feel able to confirm that, One of the complications is that there is this statement (which I have frequently posted here), apparently from some MK document/catalogue (although no-one has ever determined which!), posted in the IET forum around 2010, which appears to be saying that an MK double socket cannot (at least, could not at that time) safely be used with a 26A total load ...
All MK socket-outlets are manufactured to comply with BS1363 part 2: 1995 and are rated at 13A per unit. Double socket-outlets have been manufactured and tested to exceed this rating by margin that allows electrical safety and reduces the risk of heat and mechanical damage to components due to overloading. It should be noted that BS1363 part 2: 1995 does not allow double sockets to operate at twice the permissible maximum loading and it should be remembered that double socket-outlets are not manufactured to be able to withstand a 26A load for sustained periods of time.

Research by ourselves and third party organisations has shown that all MK double sockets can safely withstand a continuous load of 19.5A for an indefinite period. Increasing the load slightly will begin to cause heat and mechanical stresses on the components in a relatively short period. Testing showed that a load of 22.3A was sufficient to cause heat stress that would cause a browning of the faceplates and sufficient heat to cause insulation damage to cable cores. A load of 24A for 43 hours was sufficient to cause significant heat damage to the material in which the socket-outlet was situated and within 75 hours sufficient to cause significant damage that would lead to the very real potential of fire.

MK recommend that users of their sockets consult professional design Engineers when designing installations to avoid the possibility of heat and mechanical stress to components and installations caused by overloading of MK socket-outlets.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back