Spuring off the ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone can clarify a query on spurring off a double socket on the ring circuit?

I have read a few of the topics on spurring off spurs but still not 100% sure of the facts.

In my kitchen there are two ring sockets which have both had a further two double sockets spurred off them. I don't think this is correct going by what I have read on this forum and wanted to clarify this. Am I right in saying the ring main should really be extended in this case ? Will this situation mean sockets could be overloaded and potentially risk a fire ?

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
you should only have 1 spurred socket off each socket on the ring, but if the spurred sockets are spurred off by a fcu then they are ok.

Thanks for this - there is no FCU in line with the spurs so I need to get this resolved.

Can I spur off the ring socket with a 13A FCU and then take the cable from the FCU to the two double sockets from here, in theory the FCU fuse should then be protecting the cable with the two sockets spurred off it ?

that's the theory , yes..

I've never understood why people do this.. it's just lazy..

if you can run one cable to a new socket, then why not run 2 and make it part of the ring?

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I would certainly be happy to do this. So rather than use a FCU to spur off with a single cable to feed the two new sockets, would I take a cable from the last spurred socket back to the original ring socket ? Would this not result in four cables coming out of the back of the original ring socket i.e original ring pair plus extended ring pair ?

NO. take one T & E from the ring and extend that to the new sockets with a new length of T & E. With new cable return to existing socket and connect to this, you have just extended the ring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back