Spurs from breaking into ring main

Sponsored Links
Why have you never heard the term Subject Matter Expert?
Ah. Yes, I've heard of it, but (probably because of the obvious potential ambiguity), I don't think I've ever seen it abbreviated to 'SME'.

In that case, my answer to your question would essentially be a 'yes' - i.e. that the ideal for a translator is that they are fluent in both languages and are also a relevant Subject Matter Expert. Even better if, as in many of the cases I know, their education which brought them to be a Subject Matter Expert was undertaken in the language into which translation is required.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My experience of it is in IT.

And I wasn't using what I thought was an arcane term, and when I wrote "Why have you never heard the term Subject Matter Expert?" it wasn't because I was genuinely surprised (or, to use contemporary language, it wasn't because I was, like, WTF?), it was because I thought you were being deliberately daft because it also stands for something else.

Last edited:
Well, it's a new one on me. I've heard the expression Subject Matter Expert, but never to my knowledge has it been abbreviated.

Why would it NOT be abbreviated if appearing several times in a written piece?
In a document, if it were defined in a list of abbreviations, or even just defined at first usage, that would be fair enough.

However, when an abbreviation is used in normal language/conversation, I think most people would assume that it has the meaning that the abbreviation usually has in normal language. Stop people in sthe street and askl them what "SME" is an abbreviation for. A substantial proportion will probably not know, but of those who do, I doubt that any would say "Subject Matter Expert", would they?

Kind Regards, John

I wouldn't have known. .... I suppose it depends on one's line of business:
Well, it clearly depends on what circles one moves in, what one reads and what TV etc. one watches. Maybe you don't watch Newsnight or business-related programmes!

I see and hear it used quite a lot, but only ever with the meaning that stillp assumed (Small or Medium Enterprise). If you type "SME" into Google, nearly all of the first few pages of hits (and maybe most of the rest of the 100,000+ hits!) relate to that meaning. I gave up trying to determine what page one had to get to to find a hit which assumed BAS's meaning!

Kind Regards, John

I don't see that as being a good reason.

Just because one is more common (if, indeed, it is) does not stop it being an abbreviation for something with the same initials.
http://www.abbreviations.com/SME

Is that why RFC stands for Ring Final Circuit and not Radial Final Circuit?
Except, of course, it does.

I don't see that as being a good reason. ... Just because one is more common (if, indeed, it is) does not stop it being an abbreviation for something with the same initials.
No-one has suggested that anything "stops it being an abbreviation for something with the same initials" (which it clearly is). However, what is being said is that (from the point-of-view of common sense) if there is a common meaning for the abbreviation, then it is foolish to use it for something else (which has the same initials) unless one knows that one is talking to someone to whom it will have that different meaning.

I really do think that "Small or/to Medium Enterprise" is very common. As I said before, I would expect that, of those who know any meaning for "SME", the great majority will believe it to have that meaning. That's what both stillp and myself thought it meant and, as I said before, most of the first dozens of pages of Google hits also assume that meaning.
Is that why RFC stands for Ring Final Circuit and not Radial Final Circuit? Except, of course, it does.
I try never to use that abbreviation, for that very reason. Fortunately, people rarely talk/think of a "Radial Final Circuit" (rather, just "Radial Circuit") - otherwise the potential ambiguity would be much greater.

When an abbreviation has a different 'common' meaning to different groups of people, then it makes sense not to use the abbreviation at all when speaking to a 'general' ('mixed') audience. No-one outside of (or having an interest in) the electrical trade would dream that "RFC" referred to any sort of electrical circuit. Most would probably think it meant "Rugby Football Club", whereas for many decades before I started conversing with electricians, it meant "Radio Frequency Choke" to me!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back