Squealing Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We put the heating on today as we have been away (in addition to heating the hot water) and after a few hours we noticed some squealing from our Grant Vortex Pro Oil Boiler (15/21 Utility). Our annual service is not due until November but I am thinking I need to get this checked, and perhaps get the service done a month or two early.

The squealing does not seem to be coming from the burner but more from the middle of the unit, but it is hard to pin down. The boiler was fitted in 2012 and has had an annual service since. There is plenty of oil in the tank.

Any idea what the issue may be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly one of the motor bearings starting to run dry.....they get a pretty hard life and run very hot.
An easily job to do with the motor on the bench!
John :)

Potential bearing failure, but check the oil pump for leakage along the shaft. If this has been leaking into the back of the motor, it will cause this problem and will need replacing also.

Thanks for the replies.

I had the engineer out to look at it. He replaced the nozzle and said the burner was running fine. The oil filter tank end was also clean. When trying to first recreate the problem he ran the burner and the squealing would not happen with the air supply tube unattached however when reattaching the squeal would start. Also the squeal won't start until the boiler has been run for a few minutes and it heats up. When he stopped the burner running the squealing would continue for a few seconds. So the noise appears to be coming from above the burner and not the burner itself. The Engineer said he didn't know what it was and said "not to worry" and it "won't do it any hard". Well I am not convinced by that. Any more ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the system pressure it's prob tHe circuLating pump squiling cos it's got no water to pump.Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob. There is no pressure gauge to check in this system, although I have seen on previous boilers. hmmm, not sure what to do about that.

One thing I noticed last night with the boiling running for a bit is that it takes a few minutes before it squeals, but the longer the burner is on it then dissapears, however if the burner switches off for a few minutes the cycle repeats.

Undo the central nut on the pump till water comes out then do it up again not too tight and see if you get air out cos if it's got air in it it will squeal.Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back