Squirty foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this question, so I thought I'd try the general building area first.

My problem is that I have a 750ml tin of 'No Nonsense' expanding foam, which I have used just once and so it's still nearly full. The pipe that fits on the top of the tin is, however, fully caked up with hard foam and I only got one pipe - which means I can't continue to use the tin.

Is there a way of cleaning the used pipes (acetone?) or could I alternatively buy another pipe? Just called Screwfix and they don't sell the pipes on their own.

Proper solution, I guess, is to invest in a gun, but I don't really use the stuff that often.

Would be grateful for any ideas/suggestions

Jever

Sponsored Links
It's a fiver a tin
Given the time and materials plus a half tin's ability to go off, I'd bin it and buy fresh

Just clean out the pipe with a bit of wire. It should not go off in the tin. Acetone will melt uncured foam but not cured.

I used the acetone gun cleaner always before it set in the straw, worked well. But since I got a gun I haven't looked back, as it's a hundred times easier to apply without mess.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

It's only a couple of weeks old, so I thought it was worth salvaging. Cleaned out the old pipe with a bit of copper wire and it's ready to go again. I really don't like using this stuff, but maybe getting a gun is the answer to that.

Thanks for your help

Jever

I use this to clean my foam nozzle....
It's a straightened version of one of these......
upload_2017-5-29_16-39-35.png

The one end is left bent and makes a good handle.

That looks a bit easier to use than copper wire.

Thanks for the tip, will see if I can get myself one of those.

Jever

The new SS housing ties are a wee bit thinner but they are still reasonably strong. I had a couple of the chunky fellas left over from a job that I straightened. I have one in the van and the one above is used to thread the hoodie rope back through my hoodies because I always forget to tie the ends together before depositing them in the laundry basket. :mrgreen:

We use the Soudal comfort grip stuff. They have a plug that helps keep the nozzle fresh. Next best thing to the proper guns.
5411183112575_01c

Of course, you could by a new can, and make sure you clean out the nozzle after you use it; then it'll work for both cans.

Agreed, with the cans I found the usual problem is the valve either blocks inside or gets stuck partly open so the foam gradually comes out.
Once I tried to use the remains of a can as packaging for something I was posting, and it didn't work well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back