Stacking washing machine & dryer in Howdens kitchen cupb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had planned to have a Howdens "larder" kitchen cupboard and put the washing machine and tumble dryer in it, stacked one on top of the other.

The more I think about it, I don't know how it would work. The cupboard is 600 wide and 575 deep.

A washing machine is just as wide and as deep.

I don't know if Howdens offer an extra deep cupboards, I can't find anything that says that they do.

I'm guessing that this issue must have cropped up before, so am hoping that someone might already know the solution?

Thanks
R

Sponsored Links
The cupboard is 60cm wide externally, internally the thickness of the carcass narrower, so does not fit.

Is there anything that can be done to make it fit? Or other options to look at from Howdens?

Or - would it be best to get a Integrated Washer/dryer? But i would not know how to build that in to a cupbaord that was full height.

Integrated washers, driers and dishwashers don't fit in cupboards, instead they have mounting points for hinges or door panels to attach the doors direct, so no carcass. The weight of a washing machine would probably send it crashing through the base of most base units so it's a non-starter really.

Sponsored Links
Damn. That will ruin the look somewhat.

I had intended that the washer would be sat on the floor in the cupboard

I'm not sure how stackable integrated washing machine and dryer would look or work.

The only way I can imagine is to use decor end panels to build a surround for the stacked appliances. That way you can make the surround to suit. However as the washing machine will effectively be freestanding it's likely to shake like hell when spinning and the dryer on top will definitely move about, so I wouldn't want to guarantee any degree of success.

Even then the doors are not going to be an exact fit on your surround and the washer door would bounce on the surround when in operation so would be like constant drumming.

Think again before it becomes an expensive bodge.

Only way to use stacked appliances would to modify a tall cuboard to accept a pair of 35cm or 40cm doors [60cm doors will not span gap as they are only 596mm] then customise to take appliances.
This will require extra space but w/m could be mounted on the floor behind a false plinth and tumble dryer is light enough for shelf mounted.
Not ideal and quite a bit of work and planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back