Utility area cupboard idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We`re wanting to add a utility cupboard to an alcove down stairs thats about 1.3m wide for washing machine/dryer and cleaning items.

This is the design i`ve come up with. Anyone care to glance over it and see if it would work? I`m going to use cut up kitchen end panels and doors from our existing kitchen brand.
One concern is whether two 18mm thick shelves will support a tumble dryer weight.
Thanks

utility_room_cupboarddesign.jpg

Sponsored Links
PR,
I like your design. My (DIYer) comments

1) Consider size of hinges on the doors and how they intrude into your space. In your drawings there is no space around WM, so sliding it in or out would have to be done with the cupboard doors taken off.
If the washing machine is nearer front of cupboard then there might not be space to have the hinges (this is an issues with someone elses fridge a couple of days ago.

2) Using Two 18mm thick shelves does not make shelf stronger. To make it as strong as a single piece of 36mm wood used as a shelf, you need to glue the Two 18mm thick shelves together.
Tubmple Driers are not that heavy, so likly not an issue anyway. If worried use sheet of 18mm plyboard.

3) However Your very heavy and very vibrating WM is sitting on 18mm board. I would be more worried about that simply shaking everything apart when on Spin mode. Would it be better to design it so WM is on normal floor? (you gain space that way too).

4) Plumbing, sockets and Dryer tube to outside-
a) can you access them without pulling out WM and Dryer?
b) Is there enough space at back for plumbing as both WM and Dryer look very recessed into cupboard (although i do see cupboard is 730mm deep so might be ok).

SFK

As I joiner I can but concur with the above comments, particularly the points about placing the washer directly on the floor, although I'd also have to say that many washing machine manufacturers can supply stacking kits to allow the dryer to be mounted directly on top of the washer, a neater solution than sitting the dryer on a shelf IMHO. The one thing I'd suggest to the OP is that the cabinet for the washer/dryer could be made somewhat wider than the appliances (by 40 to 60mm) so that clip-on hinges could be used to allow better access

Back in the day of having a separate wash and drier, a band was available to join the two together

Sponsored Links
...a band was available to join the two together
What, like a bungee cord? :LOL:

Back in the day of having a separate wash and drier...
We still have separate machines because the I can wash my work clothes at the same time as her indoors is drying her unmentionables, because in my (limited) experience with an AEG Lavamat a few years back the more complex a machine is the less reliable it is (well, ours was, and very expensively so, very frequently after it got out of warranty) and because with separates you can actually get better energy ratings than you'll ever get with a combined washer/dryer.

Thanks for all the replies, those are great.

Yes now I think about it on the floor wouldve been better, and yes I`ve seen a universal stacking shelf that even has a pull out shelf for putting the clothes basket on.
I did give about 5cm space to the sides of the washing machine/dryer so it could be pulled out without hitting the door hinges.

PR,
I have used the "plastic/nylon band" joiner kit for free standing WM and Dryer and worked well.
But I would NOT use in your case as WM with TD fastened on top will be massively heavy and joined together very hard to get into that space.
As TD is relatively light I would be happy for it to be on its own shelf.

I like your solution of having wood on floor and Washing Machine on top and presumably giving you enough space for doors top open above carpet.
However if that floor wood is laminated chipboard, the washing machine may wear holes in it.

Also, I would consider putting a (say) 50cm tall by 7cm wide slot in the back of the left hand cupboard on the right (in the red panel) so that you can (relatively) easily check the rear plumbing of Washing machine is properly connected without removing WM.
Perhaps put the offcut back in as a door or recessed panel to close the hole when not in use.
I suggest this as I know when I push washing machine into tight slot the long pipes and power cables (that need to be long so than can be plugged in before pushing in WM) all go in wrong place and stop me pushing in MW.
Also means you can quickly access stop taps without pulling out WM.

I also measured my WM and TD and screwed wooden stoppers onto the side walls so that when WM and TD pushed into slot their back panels hits these stoppers and the fronts of the WM and TD are in exactly flat to each other and they do not crush the pipes/cables at their back.

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back