Staff hire....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought given our current economic climate and the relative unemployment figures, I thought it was going to be reasonably easy to find a new member to the team!

Apparently not!

Seems most people would rather sit on and sign on!

Does anyone have any wonderful ideas on where to find good labourers? Or had any recent experience hiring someone? Or even know anyone in Bristol who is looking for a job?!

I usually like to go via a recommendation, but it seems like this isn't working at the moment.....

Sponsored Links
is it a trainee labourer your after?reason why i ask is try phoning your local construction college to see if they have anyone fitting the bill.

Cheers gregors - yeah, i've not long put them on my list for tomorrow.

Last time I tried them they would only let me have an apprentice if I could guarantee the amount of brickwork they could do. Being general builders (although bricklaying trained), the shells are only a part of what we do.

I'm gonna see if I can get hold of the tutor directly though, see if he can recommend someone off the record type of thing....

yeah why not,wouldve thought there would be peeps jumping at the chance.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately in this day and age people seem to think they have some sort of "entitlement" to life, so if it means if they have to work for it, they don't want it. Far easier to sponge and put it on loans or benefits.

Unfortunately in this day and age people seem to think they have some sort of "entitlement" to life, so if it means if they have to work for it, they don't want it. Far easier to sponge and put it on loans or benefits.
Unfortunately this attitude is becoming more prevalent, asylum seekers come here and get everything paid for them, there is little wonder, they too scrounge off the state.

Wotan

Pity your hundreds of miles away.

My son would love a good job, one where he can put the effort into it etc as opposed to being treated like crud by the supermarket he currently gets some part time hours from.

Hi,I have recently hired a roofer via the web site called skillpages
, I had quiet afew replay.
hope this helps
Regards
Dave

Thanks Dave - never heard of it.

IN the end I got a chap from a loft conversions company, he did 1 yr at college then a yr as an apprentice. Works well for me, because he wanted some more experience of the building game in general, but I can let him loose on my skirts, archs and studwork etc. Not the quickest as you'd imagine, but definitely neat, and obviously a reasonable bit cheaper than my usual chippy's (who i'll still use for the roofs and bigger jobs).

Crikey, I asked around a lot though, i'm sure people were getting fed up in the end!

I suppose the personal recommendation still holds out king for me. (so I got lucky)

Sponsored Links
Back