Stair design & BS 585-1:1989

BW2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m doing a loft, and got to set up new stairs. I’ve been getting quotes from companies.

Trying to do a 4-step winders – approved document K 1.20 states that ‘the going of the tapered treads should not be less that the going of the straight flight’. All the quotes seem to bend this rule. None of the solutions work very well.

But 1.20 also says that BS 585-1:1989 will offer reasonable safety. Is this how they’re specifying something different to the details in K ?

Where can I find BS 585-1:1989 ?

Basically I’m short of space & trying to reduce the overall lengths of the sections, so 4 step winders, 42 degrees, etc, and trying to keep a reasonable stair width.

I’m happy with all the K details, but either people bend them, or there’s something else I haven’t come across yet. Any info very welcome.

Sponsored Links
We use a company which are in Manchester ( memory block of the name ) but all you do is faxs them the floor to floor and the plan and mesurment of where they are going, and they make them to fit.

I can send you that BS, BW2. Can you put your email in your profile. :)

Thanks denso13

denso13 said:
I can send you that BS, BW2.

That would be REALLY good - many thanks Denso13 - my email is in the profile.

Regards

Sponsored Links
If it seems a bit dubious you can always stick it under the nose of whichever building control officer is dealing with your application and they can give you the thumbs up.

On its way :)

As Freddy says, ask building control for advice if your unsure. I've always found them helpful, as long as you ask first, not when it's finished! :p

Dear Eric

Once again - many thanks for your help.

I was going round in circles and had got stuck. The trouble is - companies do a design, and it sort of works, but if you've got to live with it & squeeze through & duck your head for the next 20 years ... Each time, someone's got a different little fiddle that makes it better (or worse).

So I've been trying to understand the regulations, see how they've done it & see if I can come up with something better, or at least not be fobbed off with science. So finally, when I get to know enough (which is where you came in) to question what they're proposing, and with some discussion, we've got there with a good solution.

Best regards

BW2 / BennettWood :) :) :)

Whoops - finger trouble - the above thanks should have been directed to denso13, not Eric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back