Stair repairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have stairway that has a complete turn from lounge to upper floor i.e. 180degree turn.

I have access in the under stairs cupboard to the whole of the 'turn section'.

My problem, over time the back of the tread has started to part company from the riser such that you can see through the gap created in some places - at this join they are simply nailed together ! Most advice I have seen about stairs repairs refer to fixing creaking etc by fixing blocks to the tread/riser at the inner angle and checking that the side pieces are sound and secure BUT I can not find any guide as the best/correct way to repair my sort of problem. Simply re nailing does not last long.

I hope I have described the problem OK and would appreciate any guidance and pointers to materials required and sources if obscure to do the repair.

:)

Sponsored Links
the turn is called a landing

you should alway screw and glue the tread to the riser at the bottom

if its at the top of the riser and under the front of the tread you should glue and fit blocks[triangular] make shure the riser is tight in the groove under the nosing also making sure the wedges at the side are tight

Hi big-all

So, it is OK to 'simply' glue and screw the tread/riser join back together without any additional support (hence the question about materials etc).

What size screw (number?) screws do you advise - I have no wish to split the treads?

TIA for any extra guidance
:)

Ref: "the turn is called a landing". Hmmm!!! I thought a landing was a single 'step' at the point of the turn. My stairs (must count them) go straight for 6 (?) then have the look of a spiral staircase for 4 (i.e. each tread is pie portion shaped) then straight for 3.

Sponsored Links
Ref: "the turn is called a landing". Hmmm!!! I thought a landing was a single 'step' at the point of the turn. My stairs (must count them) go straight for 6 (?) then have the look of a spiral staircase for 4 (i.e. each tread is pie portion shaped) then straight for 3.

they are called kite winders :)

Your problem depends on which is moving and causing the gap if its the riser then just glue and screw it to the lower tread and if the wedges at the strings are loose or missing then replace them.
If its the tread that is moving then its probably because the wedges at the string have worked loose glue and re wedge them and yes you should have creak blocks glued between the treads and risers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back