Stair step crack on house looking to buy

4 Feb 2018
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a house but on the rear on there are quite a few cracks / stair step cracks, pictures attached.

I want to get a surveyor or structural engineer to check prior to proceeding but which person would be best?

Do you think I should avoid the property as it will cost quite a bit to fix?

Ideally I would like to get someone to check it out, show seller the report and get price knocked off so I can sort whatever it is out, but don't want to proceed if it's going to be very expensive.

What remedial works would it consist to solve this issue?

Grateful for any help/guidance.


  • image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 563
  • image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 556
Sponsored Links
The double glazings been changed, and there's more than likely no lintel there. Needs dealing with, and the surveyor should pick it up, and you can negotiate a price drop because of it. And it's very likely that all the lintels need checking, and doing. Put in a offer subject to survey, and make sure you get a proper surveyor, not a home valuation guy.
Structural engineer would be better.

It looks like lack of lintels following window replacement.

Not a big issue and you would normally negotiate a reduction to reflect the work required. Not really something to stop you buying if you otherwise like it.

But get the survey to see if it's not other things involved.

Bear in mind the engineer will only comment on the cracks or other structural issues and not comment on damp or rot or the things like the roof or other finishes as that's the job of a building surveyor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links