Staircase Refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a lot of hunting to replace some broken spindles (kids!!!) we have now found out that our stairs are an Irish design (Archill) - God knows where our builder got this from (house is 14 years old) and we are getting extortionate prices to get replacements (one place wanted £315 delivery from Ireland!!) of which we need 5 including one sacrificial piece. So I am now looking to refurb.

The Newel post is a 3 part design so I am looking at

1.Remove handrails, spindles, base rail and everything above the Newel base
2. Possibly replace half landing bottom step (with separate hand rail) with a bullnose bottom step
3. Replace with new stop chamfered and square Newells

I have found the newel post on this site that we have http://georgequinn.co.uk/product/achill-long-square-newel-post/ which shows that it will just be glued in - not the expanding type.

So my first question is, if I cut off the large dowel that goes into the base to remove the top part of the newel, and drill out the remaining dowel would I be able to reuse the base that is in situ? I would be using something like this to cover the join https://www.jacksonwoodturners.co.uk/solution-chrome-newel-base-connector.html#sthash.jvKLhD4y.dpbs

My second is regarding the landing bottom step - I have seen you can buy replacement bottom steps, and from looking at our newel post, it would look like that if we removed the landing step we would be left with some exposed routing that is there to support the bullnose that is proud at the bottom - I gather that this would be easy to infill? I think I would have to chisel in a vertical to support the new bottom step? (see picture) or should I go for a curtail step which hopefully would be the same size to fit the existing channels.

My third is related to my second question - would I need access to the underneath of the stairs to do this?

Thanks in advance

ps - not a new member - but I have forgot my password and I don't have access to the email address that I was registered under!!

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
if it has spacers nailed in between spindles
remove enough on the bottom to lean them enough to bunch up at one end till the last one clears the slot

Sponsored Links
they are normally nailed at an angle
cut to length drill a hole at an angle say 60% then nail in
you need the handrail in position to do this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back