Stairs query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of finding an architect to design our 1st floor extension over an existing garage kitchen to form a bedroom and ensuite.

We have had various answers to what is and what isn't allowed regarding our stairs configuration. As you can see in the photos the stairs wind left and we are looking for some way for them to wind right as well into the new extension.

An identical development across the road have moved the stairs forwards to form a flat landing. We really don't want to move the stairs as in our property we have a hall way which we don't want to disturb.

Would anyone have any advice on what we could do without moving the whole stairs case?

Photos are attached.

Thanks
IMG_20170708_110202700.jpg
IMG_20170708_110113271.jpg
IMG_20170708_110136174_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170708_073032365.jpg

Sponsored Links
The problem here is that there is no hard-and-fast rule when forming a new access from a staircase with winders such as yours; the only regulation for stairs is that the stairs shall be "safe".
This can make design difficult because it becomes a subjective view on the part of the building inspector.
From personal experience, I have found that private inspectors are more realistic on matters such as this than local authority inspectors. If you are not careful, you will find that an inspector may ask for too-big a landing on the right which, with steps up, will take an unreasonable bite out of your bedroom.
See what your designer comes up with first.

My advice is to find a designer with at least half a clue.

That's a standard arrangement for any side extension up and down the country.

Th were will be one or two steps across the wall

foto_no_exif (13).jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Love the sketch.

We wouldn't be too bothered if the bedroom didn't have a door so hopefully that would get around the need to lose any of the bedroom. If that is allowed.

When you say private inspector versus local authority, when would a private inspector come out?

Thanks

Can you lower the height of the garage so there's less steps up in to it, or, as the stairs turn in to a bedroom, could you take the stairs into the bedroom with a rail in the bedroom; that means you turn left or right from the landing.

Screenshot_20180203-160755.png
View attachment 135895
Can you lower the height of the garage so there's less steps up in to it, or, as the stairs turn in to a bedroom, could you take the stairs into the bedroom with a rail in the bedroom; that means you turn left or right from the landing.

Thanks. They'll need to replace the garage/kitchen roof so could be whatever height we want I suppose. (Within reason of course)

Sorry I'm not sure I can visualise what you mean in your second point.

I have attached the plans for a neighbours extension. We want an identical bedroom and ensuite. This shows their flat landing which we want to avoid. The stairs have moved towards the front of the house which also eats into the box room as the head room needs to be maintained.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you'll need a door on that bedroom - (fire regs).
And the problem with that is that most inspectors would require some sort of landing between the top rise and the door.
Potentially this can eat into the floor space of the bedroom.
Your best bet would be to go with Woody's suggestion, but negotiate with the inspector (private) as to how small they would accept the 'landing'.

Okay, reduce the height of the garage roof, and move the 1st and second turning risers more to the left. Are there any stair companies near you.

If you can follow Doggies' suggestion and lower the floor height slightly so that the change in level between the middle winder and the new floor level is < 600mm, you can argue that Building Regs don't apply.

I think I've got to get a new username with the way it's being messed around with.

The two steps are a flight so need a landing at the top in the new extension. That plan is incorrect and whoever drew it has just drawn a line and left it to the builders to work out, but it won't work as drawn.

The two steps are a flight so need a landing at the top in the new extension. That plan is incorrect and whoever drew it has just drawn a line and left it to the builders to work out, but it won't work as drawn.

Sorry maybe I didnt explain what that plan was. It is the approved plans for an extension opposite us. They have already moved the stairs backward so that they don't turn and go onto a flat landing.

Moving the stairs back was going to be my first suggestion, but that would mean moving the door to the living room backwards as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back