Stairs query

Well even if you could get the head room below the front bedroom, or would be a bit crap with the stairs projecting 900mm past the front room door. I suspect that plan drawer was a bit clueless and did what was easy to draw.

Have you seen the finished job next door to see if it all actually fitted in?

Sponsored Links
Moving the stairs back was going to be my first suggestion, but that would mean moving the door to the living room backwards as well.

It is probably the neatest solution but like you mention the hall way stud wall and door would all need moving and we are looking to put a downstairs toilet that would be accessed through a door on the right of the hallway. The stairs moving back might prevent that. Oh and the cost of a new staircase and installation

Well even if you could get the head room below the front bedroom, or would be a bit crap with the stairs projecting 900mm past the front room door. I suspect that plan drawer was a bit clueless and did what was easy to draw.

Have you seen the finished job next door to see if it all actually fitted in?

Yes they haven't had the build started above the garage yet but the stairs and landing are completed. Probably moved the stairs 4 steps towards the front door as well as taking a corner out of the box room to provide the head room.

All seemed to work but they didn't have a hallway enclosing the stairs.

Stairs aren't that expensive, and you're better off with the "best" solution, rather than the cheapest. You can move the stairs back, bring the stud wall along with it, and put the door into the living room at the front, and your living room will be larger. You should still have space at the front of the hallway to fit the door for the toilet. It could look less of a bastardisation doing it this way, than having the new room at a lower height to the rest of the property. It will also allow the bedroom door to be set in it's proper place.

Sponsored Links
Stairs aren't that expensive, and you're better off with the "best" solution, rather than the cheapest. You can move the stairs back, bring the stud wall along with it, and put the door into the living room at the front, and your living room will be larger. You should still have space at the front of the hallway to fit the door for the toilet. It could look less of a bastardisation doing it this way, than having the new room at a lower height to the rest of the property. It will also allow the bedroom door to be set in it's proper place.

If think you may well be right. I suppose my difficulty is I see potentially little jobs as massive ones because most DIY jobs are massive to me ha ha.

Just seems a lot of work and hassle to me. The under stairs cupboard also needed reforming across the road due to the changes.

The stud wall and entrance to the hallway are attached.

I have also attached a photo of another neighbour that had their extension done in the 80's
IMG_20180203_174525459.jpg
IMG_20170709_104711098.jpg

The last picture shows how creative you can get, but as Woody pointed out, you can't get straight into the bedroom, so in being creative, the created another problem. Moving the stairs back, is the most sensible option, but why are you worried about it; yes it'll cost a bit more, but it's the builders doing it, not you - I hope.

£100 from Howdens; but you'll find something better in between. Of course; there's nothing to stop you leaving the old ones in place - that'll save you a lot of work, but you'll have more under stairs storage if you do.

The last picture shows how creative you can get, but as Woody pointed out, you can't get straight into the bedroom, so in being creative, the created another problem. Moving the stairs back, is the most sensible option, but why are you worried about it; yes it'll cost a bit more, but it's the builders doing it, not you - I hope.

Yeah definitely not me doing it.

I suppose I was concerned about the added cost and added mess of ripping out the stud walls and door.

Is all of this talk about moving stairs, creating head room via the box room etc all bread and butter to an architect?

We have picked one so fingers crossed it is :)

They don't need to rip out the stud wall, if you replace the stairs, then you can just run a saw down the existing stairs, and break them out.

Totally off topic but it's always a special day when I stumble upon a woody diagram:D

an architect?

We have picked one so fingers crossed it is :)

Do you mean an ARB architect? ie fully qualified/7-years training and all that?
Then from many people's experience, you might be disappointed.
Many find that a good local technician will almost certainly be more clued up on Building Regs and planning policy than an RIBA, and far more cost-effective.

Do you mean an ARB architect? ie fully qualified/7-years training and all that?
Then from many people's experience, you might be disappointed.
Many find that a good local technician will almost certainly be more clued up on Building Regs and planning policy than an RIBA, and far more cost-effective.

I don't think he is ARB registered. He is a one man band and the company name suggests he is more of a building surveyor. He has just done the plans and gained approval for a friend.

He seemed very knowledgeable to me and looking at the council web site he has been doing planning applications for over 10 years with plenty of examples to download.

He is charging £800 for a site survey and a draft of two schemes to pick from. Then £400 for the full plans and the application etc.

The building reg plans are £1100. All without VAT as he isn't registered.

He was actually at the lower end of the quotes I have got. The most expensive being £2000 up to the point before building reg plans.

Let me know what town your in, and I'll sell the house and get the first train out there tomorrow to set up a new residential plan-drawing business.

Let me know what town your in, and I'll sell the house and get the first train out there tomorrow to set up a new residential plan-drawing business.
Ha ha I know what you mean.

West Malling in Kent. Not cheap for anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back