Stanley knife fat max piece of rubbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a stanley fat max knife...the one with a "dial a knob" type to loosen and tight...anyway...decided to change the blade as it was blunt....could not get the piece that holds the blade back in..struggled for 45 minutes...ended up frustrated and broke the knife to bits..what a load of [rubbish] these kinifes are..it says you can change the blade in a matter of seconds..[rubbish]!!...went out and bought a classic 99e one..the one with the screw that holds everything together...anyone has had same experience with these "fat max" stanley knifes..?

Sponsored Links
yep bought one a couple of years ago. exactly the same problem. still sitting in bits in my shed somewhere. I find a lot of there stuff is pants. The latest example is a fat max tape measure where the markings wore off in about two months.

been using an Out-door utility knife from Stanley. has a large, serrated blade at one end and the quick-change normal stanley blade at the other. Absloutely brilliant! use it all the time at work so i regularly need to change the blades. Takes about 15seconds to swap them out with a press of the button. Bit of a trick to it (press button + push blade knob forward) but you get the hang of it. £15 or so on ebay. Comes with blades and belt pouch.

Sponsored Links
i've got one of the utility knives with the big blade... but never used the big blade - except as a scredriver.. the blade's not as sharp as the razor blade at the other end, and the serrated bit is not big enough to do anything with... :(

Aye, the big blade locks out when in use. Really solidly as well. Also features a safety lock that prevents the other blade from coming out when the first one is out ... if that makes sense?

It's meant as more of an outdoorsy/camping sort of tool. I find the serrated blade is great for cutting rope and hacking through thick cardboard boxes at work. Dosn't stay sharp for long, mind so regular use requires regular sharpening. Then again, you've always got the small, razor blade for sharp work.

i agree great knives, unfortunatley they are illegal to posses in a public place as they are classed as a lock knife :rolleyes:

Got peed off with my fat knife, bought a 5 quid rolson foldaway thing, ideal, change blade in 5 secs, use, foldaway in pocket, ready for use whenever no hassle.

i vote for the rolson, who ever came up with the idea of a stanley blade in a pocket knife, brilliant, hope the bastard that knicked my last one appreciates it as well.

Yep, Rolson, great bit of kit, dig out the old fixed blade stanley for cutting tougher stuff though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back