Stealing some of the garage!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Our garage joins onto the side of our house with access from the kitchen through a door. There's also a door from the garage to the back garden and also a pull over garage door to the front.

A few of our neighbours have stolen about 2/3 of their garage to make a kitchen diner. I've thought about doing the same and everyone I speak to says it's dead easy. Is it? As far as I can see I would need to: -

* Replace the door in the kitchen with an archway
* Fit a uPVC door from the garage to the garden
* Create a false wall to separate the 2/3 and 1/3 bit in the garage
* Plasterboard and plaster the walls and ceiling
* Lay some sub floor

Is that it?

Seems a bit to good to be true and, on the face of it, doesn't seem as if it would cost that much either.

Anyone done the same?

Sponsored Links
It's controlled work so would be notifiable to your LABC for BRegs approval. The biggest hurdle would probably be increasing your insulation to meet current thermal regulatory requirements. What is the existing garage wall construction? Why keep a third of it as a garage, why not just make the whole garage an habitable space?

Thanks for that.

I think we'll still need some storage space for mower, garden kit and bikes etc... We don't have any other storage space for the outside stuff.

The garage is only single skin. Does that mean we would lose some space as the plasterboard would need to leave a cavity?

Does this mean we'd lost too much space?

Cheers

Only you can decide how much space is "too much to lose" but you should bank on losing approx 150mm to all exterior walls by the time you have put up some studwork and insulted, then overboarded and skimmed. Can you afforded to lose this much? You decide....... :confused:

ps don't forget you'll need to insulate the ceiling as well.

Sponsored Links
you must have a fireproof 100mm step and i would assume 30 min fire wall between garage and habitable space :rolleyes:

Thanks all

This still isn't sounding like too much work to me, or cost for that matter. Am I being a bit naive?

Is there much more to consider than this: -

* Replace the door from the kitchen to tha garage with an archway
* Plasterboard and plaster the walls and ceiling and insulate all
* Lay some sub floor

Cheers

Is there much more to consider than this: -

* Replace the door from the kitchen to tha garage with an archway
* Plasterboard and plaster the walls and ceiling and insulate all
* Lay some sub floor

Cheers

*Electrics (part p)
*Heating.
*Ventilation.
*Insulation to the floor.

You may need to remove the roof covering and install a warm deck unless you have the headroom and the availability to vent a cold deck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back