Fire door query between kitchen and garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently my side kitchen door just exits straight onto my driveway, but we are planning to bring the garage forward so we have direct access

In addition, we are about to have the kitchen re-plastered also

The side door currently is just a standard UPVC door

So, my assumption is that the door will need to be changed to a fire rated door due to flammables possibly stored in the garage, but can anyone confirm will it be an internal or external door that is required ?

Obviously i need to have the door replaced before the plastering but the garage may not have been brought forward at that stage

Sponsored Links
You can't get external fire doors because there dont need to be any.

For an internal door, it will require a 30 minute fire door set (ie and frame) with smoke seals.

Or you can fit an external door that may have a nominal 30 minute rating - eg a solid timber door not a panelled door and with fire resisting glass if a glazed type. But if this work is via building control, you will need to confirm with them if they will accept any door that is not a certified fire door, or get the necessary certification.

you also need a 100mm step between garage and habitable area as a fire check

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply Woody

i'm stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place as as mentioned, the kitchen is most likely to be plastered before the garage is brought forward and the door needs to be in first, to allow it to be plastered up to

if i had the internal fire door fitted now, can i protect the outside of it in anyway, or can they absolutely NOT be exposed to the outside elements ?

thanks again

Think building regs require a 60 minute ( FD 60 ) fire door between garage and kitchen don't they .

You can put a few coats of yacht varnish on the door, but you need to do every surface going (under hinges and even through the door handle etc) otherwise moisture will get in, and it'll swell slightly and stick. Or you could talk to building control, and see if they'll accept an external door with fire retarding paint on it.

thanks for the reply Woody

i'm stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place as as mentioned, the kitchen is most likely to be plastered before the garage is brought forward and the door needs to be in first, to allow it to be plastered up to

if i had the internal fire door fitted now, can i protect the outside of it in anyway, or can they absolutely NOT be exposed to the outside elements ?

thanks again
Why can't you leave the door and just replace the frame and door later to the same place and do the little bit of making good to the plaster?

Or if you are replastering with new door beads, leave the reveals until later.

But if you do get a standard fire door now and frame, then if coated well with varnish or paint, then it will do for a good few months, even a couple of years or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back