Steel balustrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on replacing old banisters with a steel rod structure but as you can see it looks massive compared to the old wooden ones. It is 106cm in height and the old one is just 83cm on the landing Its slightly better at 90cm on the stairs themselves.

As far as I know the height of bannisters is usually 90 - 95cm Before I order any more for the stairs themselves has anyone installed 106cm high bannisters and do they create problems at that height either visuallly or practically ? Or am I just noticing it more because I am 5' 6" !

Attachments

• WP_20190425_001.jpg
    WP_20190425_001.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
900mm above pitchline on stairs and 900mm above landing are the minimum heights for handrails in a house . The balustrade doesn't look child proof ,
is it going to be infilled with something?

90cm seems comfortable and more visually OK than that huge 103cm on my steel one It looks more massive because the original is too small at 83cm.
I can get the balustrades with up to seven bars which would make it child proof. I just need a way of cutting them down to 90cm without damaging or staining then in the process as the flange is welded to the upright. Hopefully I could get it cut there and rewelded as there is a cap that covers the join after it is screwed to the floor/stairs

Sponsored Links
More horizontal bars would not make the balustrade child proof as it would be climbable (like a ladder for a child ) and unacceptable as far as bldg. regs go.
Vertical bars should have 99mm maximum gaps under bldg. regs.
Balustrade needs a bit more thought.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back