Steel capping required on new builds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Whilst I was at college for my 17th edition amendment 1, I didn't come across a reg that says it's compulsory. I was taught it's just for plasterer so their trowel doesn't snag cables. I was told that on new builds I should use steel capping. The stuff I brought was PVC because it's cheaper.
I do hate it thought because it flexes and blends. I've ordered some steel ones but just curious. After all knowing is half the battle for me.

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to use any capping of any type of fabric.
The capping is not to protect the cable from plasterers trowel, just simply to keep the cable securely in place.

I was taught it was to protect from the trowel, oh well...

Sponsored Links
I have yet to see a plasterer pointing his trowel down into the work surface in the direction of travel. I'm sure it can inadvertently happen.

The only time we should need plastic or galv capping these days is protecting cables from any tide of expanded polystyrene / Jablite which adorns the walls under the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back