Steel Conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up an external ariel and running the drops down the side of the house.

As it enters the main living room (1st floor) I would like to protect the cable with some galv'd steel conduit.

TLC near me stocks it cheap enough but I don't understand one part.

CO20BX1G.JPG

If that's at the bottom of the run covering the hole of the entry into the property - how are you meant to get it through the casing? Drill it?

I can't see any "lids" with holes in them for a compression gland.. i.e.

COLIDG.JPG

Yet I see this rubber gasket with a hole

COGAS.JPG

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
20mmHolesaw.jpg

You can also get 'bell lids' or 'dome lids' which have a threaded 20mm entry.

Having a hole in the lid is not going to help you though, you want to drill the rear of the box.

I can't see why you want to use steel conduit? Especially at first floor level? Using the conduit and terminal box will also prevent you from forming a drip loop which will lead to ingress of moisture into the building through your hole.

Back entry boxes, Lids with couplings
back-entry-push-in-boxes-ass.jpg
normally for lights, and Flanged couplings are all made but I confess I have had problems finding them on the internet. The flanged couplings often come with lead washers to seal on cast boxes.
Using pressed steel boxes they are smoother and better for drilling where a seal is required.
See also

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back